Sunday, June 5, 2011

Deadline (Newsflesh # 2) by Mira Grant

Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy)
Good Reads Summary

Shaun Mason is a man without a mission. Not even running the news organization he built with his sister has the same urgency as it used to. Playing with dead things just doesn't seem as fun when you've lost as much as he has.

But when a CDC researcher fakes her own death and appears on his doorstep with a ravenous pack of zombies in tow, Shaun has a newfound interest in life. Because she brings news-he may have put down the monster who attacked them, but the conspiracy is far from dead.

Now, Shaun hits the road to find what truth can be found at the end of a shotgun.

My Thoughts
Holy S#@!...

I could kiss Ms.Grant. If Feed was a "thinking" book, Deadline is a "feeling" book because i. felt. everything.

I don't really read thrillers; my record clearly shows my love for YA. I have a read a good many young contemps, a whole lot of PNR, and a lot of YA 'dystopian.' But Feed was one of my early favorites this year. It impressed upon me that the value of a story is not the genre it seems to fall under, but in the way the story is told. I picked it up thinking it was just another zombie book, and after The Enemy and Rot and Ruin, I felt it fit would fit in nicely. I was wrong. I've likely said this before: Feed is smart. And more than a zombie book. Knowing that, I was completely caught off guard by Deadline's recent release. I held off, then held off some more, and then caved. I made the embarrasing mistake of starting the book in a coffee shop; a little while later, I rushed home, locked myself in my room, then promptly burst into tears. I wish I cried in a graceful way, you know a dab-dab to the corner of my eyes, but I don't - I'm noisy... thus, the rushing home. And why the crying? Shaun! He may likely be insane; he may very well be a bully... but who could blame him after events in Feed? I couldn't. I admit it, I have a teensy tiny lit crush on him.

Beyond my shallow crushing on the MC, Deadline must be read if only for a really good story, and it being a really great sequel. It's intense and action packed, yet it still had me getting very emotional. The original players (Georgia and Buffy) are still a big part of everything, particularly since Deadline is told by Shaun and that they were a big part of his life. Heck, they were his life. The conspiracy they'd uncovered put more people in danger, and kept me guessing. And that ending was... Well, let me put it this way I want to kick Ms. Grant right now, but mostly, I want to kiss her.

Thrilling ride, engrossing story... Deadline must be read... Oh, and Feed too.

I need the next one yesterday.
 
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment