Thursday, June 30, 2011

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Forgotten

Good Reads Summary

I remember forwards. I remember forwards, and forget backwards. My memories, bad, boring, or good, haven't happened yet. So I will remember standing in the fresh-cut grass with the black-clad figures surrounded by stone until I do it for real. I will remember the funeral until it happens - until someone dies. And after that, it will be forgotten. Here's the thing about me: I can see my future, but my past is blank. I see the future in flashes, like memories. I remember what I'll wear tomorrow, and a car crash that won't happen till this afternoon. But yesterday has evaporated from my mind - just like the boy I love. I can't see him in my future. I can't remember him from my past. But today, I love him. And I never want to forget how much.

My Thoughts

Forgotten...

Wherein London Lanes forgets the past. One would think forgetting a day's events would be a good thing, right? Especially for a highschool student who's awkward, not so popular, and whose best friend is "that" girl. Dodge ball mishaps, wardrobe malfunctions become nothing - literally- for someone like London, whose memory of the same is wiped everyday at 4:33 AM.

Wherein London Lane remembers forward. And what pray tell does that mean? Believe you me, I found myself paging back just to see if I missed something, on multiple occasions at that. It did not help that some of the chapters ended in ominous tones. I found myself pondering the consequences of the same. like, was she a straight A student? Or, could she change what she "remembers"? And blablabla. Suffice to say, there were some answers just not enough of them.

Wherein mystery and teenage love do a number on the powers of my comprehension and patience. It was confusing; it was frustrating, so, of course... I had to read on to piece things together, right? The love story aspect would have been typical, but ~and this is big~ that their instant love connection happened over and over and over again made it a teensy bit different. So, yeah, even if time literally stopped for her when she found his eyes on her, their "initial" meeting must have been refreshing for him. What a boost to one's ego, to have a girl who's pretty and just a little out there, blushing and tongue tied over you. The point? You've got to get a kick out of a London, a girl who feels like she's meeting a guy for the first time all the time, right? It's was all just so very 5O First Dates, only loaded with teenage angst and hormones. Now, the mystery aspect of the whole thing was what had me reading on. It had me theorizing every which way. It's her father. It's her grandmother. It's somebody. But the big reveal was just that~ big.

Wherein I am confounded by how pot-kettle the scenarios were. One of the many issues she had to deal with was a lying boyfriend. Except if you think about, she did too. But it's her story so all righty, he's the bad guy in that scenario. Another of her issues is a mother with secrets. Wait! Is this really supposed to be an issue? Aren't people entitled to secrets? But wait it's her story, so let's go with it. But the bit that had me gnashing my mollars was how she self absorbed she found Jaimie! So was she! I found myself in the new position of agreeing with one described as self-absorbed, that there is a kind of peace of mind in forgetting.

Wherein I am impressed by the people in London's life, specifically Jaime. London's best friend is mouthy, confident, out there, sadly misguided.... and in the end surprisingly forgiving. Do pairings like theirs really exist? I've come across friendships like theirs time again and always wondered, what do these polar opposites of confident and awkward see in each other? And while Jaime while a tad disappointing, her sticking to her principles (such as they were) was quite noteworthy. Now Luke isquite unremarkable. He's hot, a bit strange in his own right and with "secrets" of his own. He's the requisite love, and it is his "secret" that causes all their troubles. Their first meeting is predictable - time stopped, and it was just the two of them *gag* But my biggest issue with him/them as a couple is that their problems were, honestly, unnecessary.

Over all.. not a bad read.

3.5/5

PS...
Talk about cover love... isn't the cover gorgeous?!

No comments:

Post a Comment