Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Graveminder by Melissa Marr

Graveminder

Good Reads Summary

Melissa Mar is known to young adult readers as the author of the popular faery series Wicked Lovely. Her debut leap into adult fiction lands her in the small community of Claysville, a town where the dead walk free unless there their graves are not properly tended. Into this eerie maelstrom, Rebekkah Barrow descends as she returns to a place that she once believed she knew. Kelley Armstrong justly described Graveminder as "a deliciously creepy tale that is as skillfully wrought as it is spellbindingly imagined." A new genre author to watch.

My Thoughts

Who here reads Nora Roberts? A few years back she was churning one “PNR” after another. I use the term PNR loosely mainly because her novels, trilogies read mostly like romantic contemporaries with a dash of fantasy/magic. Some of my favorites of hers always, well almost always, included a couple with a past, having fallen out, but for one reason or another, needing to come together. Remember Face the Fire, the one with the hot witch who’d fallen out with Sam, the multimillionaire? Or Carolina Moon, the one with the psychic girl whose boyfriend’s little sister was murdered? I’m pretty sure one of the books in her Circle’s Trilogy had one couple with a back story just like that. My point? Aside from the fact that I’m a huge fan of Nora Roberts, well, Grave Minder runs roughly along the same lines… except there are the Hungry Dead to contend with and the very curious concept of birthing queues.


Not bad for my first Marr novel. It’s a three point five even with all the questions I have rolling around in my head right now.

Here’s what I liked:

It's horror-lite. It’s setting in particular creeped me out. Never mind that such a setting has been found in many a horror movie, and a couple of Supernatural episodes. You know, the picturesque, small, cozy town; the one where the people are always happy to help and oh, so polite. The one that’s just too perfect to be true. That’s just the case here. Marr effectively paints a place that’s scary in its perfection. The sad thing is, a lot of questions remain. One particular concept I kept on going back to was the birthing queue… as an answer to one of my questions it had a lot of holes.

And...

**Spoiler**

...There’s a happy ending even with all those zombies a.k.a. the Hungry Dead. Like NR books, there’s always a happy ending. The couple had come together, the enemy been defeated and all was well in their little corner of the world. (This is coming across as sarcastic even as I type it, but I mean it… I really liked the HEA…after all Bec and Byron had been through they deserved one, he deserved one.)

Like I said not bad for my first Marr book.. I wonder, do her other books read like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment