Saturday, June 11, 2011

Madapple by Christina Meldrum

Madapple

Good Reads Summary

THE SECRETS OF the past meet the shocks of the present.


Aslaug is an unusual young woman. Her mother has brought her up in near isolation, teaching her about plants and nature and language—but not about life. Especially not how she came to have her own life, and who her father might be.

When Aslaug’s mother dies unexpectedly, everything changes. For Aslaug is a suspect in her mother’s death. And the more her story unravels, the more questions unfold. About the nature of Aslaug’s birth. About what she should do next.

About whether divine miracles have truly happened. And whether, when all other explanations are impossible, they might still happen this very day.

Addictive, thought-provoking, and shocking, Madapple is a page-turning exploration of human nature and divine intervention—and of the darkest corners of the human soul.

My Thoughts

I knew this was going to be dark, but I wasn't expecting this: Aslaugh's story is dark, twisted, confusing, sad and frustrating.. but through all of it I was stuck. I wanted, no needed, to know how it would all turn out.


Is this YA? I think not. She's young but her story takes things to a whole other level. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone anyone expecting a typical YA "dark" romance. Unless they want to think. Unless they want to be confused. Unless they want one hell of a story. It had me sitting up. It had me going, "What the..!" And the thing is, hers isn't an easy one -never an easy one- becasue hers moves her from one unfortunate, confusing, angering situation to another. And there's court room drama.

Aslaugh. her innocence oth fascinated and frustrated me. You know that voice in your head that tells you what's up? I wanted to tell her to listen to it. And yet she went along., or got swept along. So maybe all that hapened wasn't her fault because things were set up the way they were. She grew up isolated with what probably was a crazy (abusive) mother. So she did't know. But she always ended up regretting how things turn out. Her experience with her mother should have prepared her for Sara and Sanne, but no! She stayed... and later regreted. She's left to deal with boat load of crap that wasn't her fault. God, sje frustrated me, she confused me. And I felt sorry for her.

Rune. Was he a victim too? Or was he simply a guy with no impulse control? Or was he the hero she saw in the end.Or perhaps all three. One thing is for sure, he isn't one dimensional, for he too frustrated me, and yes, digusted me a little. But who am I too judge? I am a firm believer that you can feel what you want, want what you do and act accordingly as long as you don't hurt anyone. So the question is did he hurt anyone? Aslaugh? Did she know what she was getting herself into? Keeping in mind how she grew up, what she knew, and the circumstances being what they were? I am firm believer that there is not right or wrong when it comes to feeling? Unless the same is couple with act; that's when right or wrong come in. So victim, wrong-doer or "hero"? Maren, Sara and Sanne and were all damaged. And rebekka was too. Could I blame them for how things progressed, you bet your ass!

Frightening but fascinating...

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment