Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mercy (Mercy #1) by Rebecca Lim

Mercy (Mercy, #1)

Good Reads Summary
An electric combination of angels, mystery and romance, MERCY is the first book in a major new paranormal series.


There's something very wrong with me. I can't remember who I am or how old I am, or even how I got here. All I know is that when I wake up, I could be any one. It is always this way. There's nothing I can keep with me that will stay. It's made me adaptable. I must always re-establish ties. I must tread carefully or give myself away. I must survive.

Mercy doesn't realise it yet, but as she journeys into the darkest places of the human soul, she discovers that she is one of the celestial host exiled with fallen angel, Lucifer. Now she must atone for taking his side. To find her own way back to heaven, Mercy must help a series of humans in crisis and keep the unwary from getting caught up in the games that angels play. Ultimately she must choose between her immortal companion, Lucifer, and a human boy who risks everything for her love.

My Thoughts
 
NGL, I really enjoyed Mercy. Truth be told it's one of the better angel books I've come across, but to peg it as such does it a slight disservice. I'd liken Mercy to Neecy only she fixes up the lives of bodies she's hijacked. Ha! The blurb doesn't even hint at that, does it? The words "boy," "love," and "survive" had me wondering if it would be worth it. Would Mercy another Patch/Nora, Luce/Cam/Daniel, bla bla/bla bla?

Not at all.

I've seen plenty of TV that most everyone else wouldn't bother with; people like me probably know who Niecy is (love her!) Mercy's a little bit of that. Only for her it's the lives of those she's body-jacked that she fixes up. Plus, she's just as spunky as Niecy. This time around Mercy's souljacked (her term) Carmen, a soprano with much hidden talent. Carmen just happens to be on exchange and is hosted by a family with a tragic past. Enter Ryan, son of family's host. Do we now have a complete picture of a not-so-confident girl meeting tragic hero?

Not at all. And it get's better.

While all that's happening Mercy, as we learn, is not exactly clear on what or who she is, where she comes from or who the mysterious Luc is.

So, it's a mystery, angel book, that only hints at the love story aspect. The story is actually quite different; the writing quite descriptive, lyrical even. Now, with writing like this, it's hit or miss with me. Do it wrong and I get bored, with characters blending in with the background and their story starting not to matter. But, do it right, and the characters just pop against it. In Mercy's case, descriptive it was, but boring it most was most definitely was not.

Not typical.

Mercy is much better than some of the other YA "angel" books I've read of late.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment