Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rhymes with Cupid y Anne Humphrey

Rhymes with Cupid 

Good Reads Summary

Goodman's Gifts & Stationery Store
February 14
Cashier: Elyse

3 boxes of heart-shaped chocolate . . . $12.00

Chocolate is the only good thing about this nauseating holiday.

4 containers of candy hearts . . . $5.00

Ever since my ex cheated on me, I've sworn off love. Too bad my new neighbor Patrick didn't get the memo.
1 Valentine's Day card . . . $4.50

I'm not interested. Although, he is pretty cute. And sweet. And funny.

1 singing Cupid doll (promotional item) . . . $0.00

Stupid Cupid! Point your arrows at someone else. . . .

Subtotal . . . $21.50

It's going to be a complicated Valentine's Day.

My Thoughts

Rhymes with Cupid indeed. There should be balance, right? YA isn't all dark and twisted; it can be sweet and romantic too. But a certain balance is called for, right? This book tipped that balance toward sweet. It was so sweet, so sappy at times that it is basically one of those rom-coms that the protag made fun of:

"...I hated the whole 'boy meets girl, they fall in love but - oh- they can't possibly be together because of some terrible but really easy-to-resolve misunderstanding' plots that always ended happily ever after with a passionate kis and/or wedding..."

I won't deny that there were moments of me stuffing the pillow over my head to keep from laughing out loud (Recall the raccoon scene?) But the book itself is just cute, funny but moments of it (mostly to do with Elyse's over the top reactions) really did rhyme with Cupid.

2.5 for making me laugh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment