Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ashes by Ilsa Bick

Ashes

Good Reads Summary

It could happen tomorrow...


A cataclysmic event. An army of "The Changed."

Can one teen really survive on her own?

An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky, destroying every electronic device and killing billions. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human...

Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the Changed, Alex meets up with Tom---a young army veteran---and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse.

This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to survive.

My Thoughts

I'm very easy to please because despite some of the problems I encountered, I want more. After reading a couple of reviews on Ashes, I had this nagging feeling that I wouldn't find Alex believable, especially given all her how to survive in the wild knowhow. Yet I thought , she was believable. Here's a run down of what she had on her:

"Five power bars.
Five packets of instant jell-o~ two lime, one orange, one lemon, one cherry.
A space blanket.
A small brown bottle of ancient iodine tablets.
A small bottle of water.
Her car keys with a working mini flashlight. And a... glock."

It was the last item that struck me as odd. I mean she was what, sixteen? Seventeen? Then I remembered: I could chalk up her maturity and toughness to the fact that she had no parents, was living on borrowed time, such a life would probably make you grow up fast. But that's all without considering her post-apolcalyptic world of plagues and zombies. Such a world would probably teach people toughen people up. So yes, the maturity and survivor knowhow of water warmth/shelter/water/food eventually did make sense all that in mind.

But what I really loved is this: She's no pushover and would not kowtow to the whims of a twelve year old. She's all, "If you don't wanna? Fine." And then she was out of there. Boiling it down, all she was, is attributable to what the times were like. Alex made sense to me.

But then there was Tom... and the strong Alex that I was coming to like was replaced by a version of Alex I was not too excited about. She certainly was still tough, but much of her responsibilty shifted to him. I could see why she liked him, I could see and understand it. But I wanted more of her, strong tough Alex.

THANKFULLY, things didn't end there because there were so many things thrown in. I didn't mind. Some may say ASHES went all over the place with all those story lines to follow. But when I go "WHAT?!" every so often, I know I'm hooked. And I tell you ther were a lot of WHAT's coming out of my mouth. After Tom, the hero, there's also Alex the dog whisperer. Then there's the Village of the Creepy and the unexplained rules therein. Then there are the Chosen, the Spared and the Awakened. And Chris!

I totally see why people feel like there was too much going on all at once. Because there was, but for me it was fine. Now, I'm left wanting to know more... and very excited about what's too come.

*Thanks Netgalley!
 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment