Thursday, July 14, 2011

Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver #4) by E. Lockhart

Real Live Boyfriends (Ruby Oliver Quartet Series #4)
 Good Reads Summary

Ruby Oliver, the neurotic, hyperverbal heroine of the The Boyfriend List, The Boy Book, and The Treasure Map of Boys, is back!

Ruby Oliver is in love. Or it would be love, if Noel, her real live boyfriend, would call her back. But Noel seems to have turned into a pod-robot lobotomy patient, and Ruby can’t figure out why.
Not only is her romantic life a shambles:
Her dad is eating nothing but Cheetos,
Her mother’s got a piglet head in the refrigerator,
Hutch has gone to Paris to play baguette air guitar,
Gideon shows up shirtless,

And the pygmy goat Robespierre is no help whatsoever.

Will Ruby ever control her panic attacks?
Will she ever understand boys?
Will she ever stop making lists?
(No to that last one.)

Roo has lost most of her friends. She's lost her true love, more than once. She's lost her grandmother, her job, her reputation, and possibly her mind. But she's never lost her sense of humor. The Ruby Oliver books are the record of her survival.

My Thoughts

Four days for four Ruby books. Not much sleep, a load of laughs... and now I have a new favorite female lead who is far from perfect but definitely unforgetable. YA contemps/ chick lit need not be angst-filled, drama-ridden to be good. And while Ruby's stories are angst-filled and drama-ridden, hers are hilarious and painful and truthful and accurate.

Reading Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver  is like the before and after of a coaster ride. Right before, you know you want to, you're dying to get on in fact; that's even if you're a little scared, even if you're a little nervous. And right after? With your heart still galloping, you're thinking, "I want do that again!" This was the fourth; this was the last, so I wanted to savour it; slow down and stretch it out, but once I got settled in, pages flew and in the end,

Some things came as expected. Its funny and she hilarious (as usual.) Things did get complicated and then a little more complicated. Some people (Ruby especially) did screw up, but the same people did try to (and sometimes did) redeem themselves.

Now Ruby, specifically? She is not as mental as she first thought herself to be. From The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver  to The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them to The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver,  she had me cringing, tearing up from laughter, gritting my teeth in annoyance. But, she entertained me with her naivette, with all her observations, and she even surprised with her honesty and her eventual unwillingness to let things just be. And the others? It is safe to say that Ruby wasn't the only one with issues.

Said fact, above all, is what I loved. I loved how imperfect they all were. Ruby was a given, but Noel? Her father? Her mother? Issues abound!

But there's the unexpected too. A moment, 95% in, with me almost done, there's this one bit between Noel and Ruby that had me sniff-sniffing like an idiot. Where in heck did that come from?! So now, I love the book just a smidge more.

READ THIS, EVERYONE!!!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment