Friday, July 29, 2011

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy #2) by Kiersten White

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
Good Reads Summary

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal.

My Thoughts
 
It took two tries before I hit the second half of Paranormalcy. Evie just didn't sound too endearing to me. And thinking back, I think she was the first YA girl I'd read who was very snarky which at times went a bit overboard. After awhile said snark became the norm. And I... enjoyed her and her story a bit more. Plus, all those paranormals dropping left and right were just too curious to pass up.

And in Supernaturally, you couldn't turn one page without something inappropriate/funny coming out of her. The snark abound! After Reth, one would think all was well in Lend and Evie land. It was and it wasn't. And it was this that had me struggling with the story. It's a new relationship I get it. But sometimes Evie was a bit insecure, Lend a bit insensitive... (or may be this is me nitpicking again?) Beyond the couple, I found the story to be of the non-filler type. Because there's a new guy, who manages not only to bring Evie's story to a whole other level without forgetting where it all began.

Most of my favorite moments involve her struggling as a normal girl. HI-larious. What she'd been wanting wasn't that great up close after all. And as a result, not a page went by without her saying something that rang like Buffy.

So take a new guy, who did everything I thought he was going to do, add some trouble in paradise for Lend and Evie, the don't forget the snark, well Supernaturally is just as fun as the first one.

3.25/5

No comments:

Post a Comment