Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Tris & Izzie
Good Reads Summary

A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

My Thoughts

Beautiful cover, you have misled me... again!!!

The one and half star is due mainly to the beautiful cover and sporadic moments of me actually laughing at what came out of Izzie's mouth.

It's characters, none did I like. Izzie is self absorbed and totally unaware of everyone else around her. Her bestfriend is scheming and blames everyone else for her troubles. Tristan sounds robotic, (but at least there's a reason for that). And Marc whom I thought was going to be one of the better parts of the books does something that I find unexcusable.

**Spoiler ahead**

Specifically, Izzie is so clueless that by chapter four she still couldn't get it wrapped around her head that her BFF was in love with her BF. She's so secure in the thought that everyone wanted her to be happy. Oh puh-lease! I wanted to shake her! When Tristan finally appeared, both his too formal ways and oh-so-good looks rubbed her the wrong way, and simultaneously made her want him. Talk about contrary! And she slaps people a lot. Tristan is the dark brooding hero, but reads ROBOTIC. I felt no connection to any of them!

It's plot predictable: Everything said and done seems to be said and done because it's the thing to do. Puppets, that's what come to mind, with the marionette pulling strings of one puppet to do/say one thing then pulling another set to get another to say something in response. All this leading to a rather obvious conclusion. Obvious to me at least, because NONE (Izzie, in particular) of the characters could see past their noses!

And there's potential unfulfilled. A retelling of Tristan & Isolde, give me some of that, right? In truth, the similarity lies in the names alone.

1.5/5

*The bits that had me chuckling were all due to skimming: "I had spatter of invinciblity potion on my shirt," and I go, "How'd she manage that?" I had to look twice because I swear I thought it read invisibility. At this point I'd been skimming the galley AND listening an old SVU episode. Guess which kept my attention.

**Thanks Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment