Saturday, July 16, 2011

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
Good Reads Summary

Every flame begins with a spark.

Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.


My Thoughts

By part one I was leaning strongly toward a one. It was all over the place for me: a hot head (or maybe even homicidal?) older sister, a hot head female protag, unplanned meet ups with five others of her kind (unknown to her,) and... godhood. Perhaps it was going to be one of those "not me" books because some parts were OK, other parts were boring, while other's still had me really curious. I will say that Wildefire is one of extremes~ there's violence and there's the corny.

The violence, I didn't mind. When one reads UF, violence becomes part of the reading experience, there's always rhyme, reason, with the violence being a necessary. (Not that this is UF or anything, but it coud have been.) Here, initially I thought, the violence was needlessly thrown in just for the hell of it... BUT after the big reveal, when I knew what she and her sister were, I could understand why they behaved the way they did. I'm not saying I love Ash as a character; she's simply too unsympathetic, but at least I saw from whence she came.

My biggest problem in it lies with the moments of corny. And these moments were never sporadic. One could count on Colt (the slightly older, a little creepy love interest) to utter something very corny to cringe to. He had lines of getting to know the girl and long speeches proclaimed sincere but just rang false in my ears. And there's their gullibility. When somebody says you're a god, well believe it, you are a god. Drawn together by I don't know what, this curious bunch were very too quick to believe! Well, at least their god names were cool~ to an exent, even if the same was a bit stereotypical pigeonholed. Meaning? since a character looked a certain way or was of certain descent, then by golly this character would be this god and that character would be that god (nitpick alert! sorry...)

But hey, I managed to finish it. After slogging through part one, it was part two that had me sitting up and paying attention. The ending too is enough to get me to read on.

2.5/5
*Thanks Simon & Schuster

No comments:

Post a Comment