Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ambitious (Premiere High #1) by Monica McKayhan

Ambitious (Premiere High #1)
Good Reads Summary

There's only one thing tougher than getting in to Premiere High: Staying in…


At Premiere School of the Performing Arts, nicknamed Premiere High, talent is a must and competition is fierce. But the payoff is worth it. Some of the biggest stars in music, movies and dance are on the alumni list. New student Marisol Garcia dreams of taking her place among them one day. And being chosen to take part in a local dance contest where a film role is the prize could possibly be her first step into the spotlight.
Almost as big a challenge: getting Drew Bishop to see her as more than a friend. But Drew is preoccupied with his own dilemma of either playing basketball, which could be a free ticket to college, or pursuing the stage where he really comes alive. But every dream comes with a price. And as Marisol becomes consumed with winning, the once straight–A student risks losing everything. Starting with her parents' approval, her friends and her place at Premiere High…

My Thoughts

Ambitious did nothing for me on any level. The characters lacked a depth to have me caring about the outcome of their story. My reading experience went along the lines of 'Yeah? So what?'


As said, the characters lacked a depth to them. Mari has her dancing. She's been admitted to a prestigious Arts school. There's nothing really that she has to beat... there's no big drama in her life except that is to win a big dance competition. 'And so what?,' I asked. I really didn't care about her.

Maybe the love interest is a different matter because Drew's a player both on and off court, who'd dropped both to be in the same school to train to act. And you know what? I still felt nothing for him either. OK... I may have felt something a bit stronger... just nothing good: I had a level disdain for him, given his proclivity towards being pig. What he is, is a player. Even at the beginning when they barely knew each other, he'd shown himself concerned only with girls and how others saw him, there's also the fact that he expected others to be impressed with who his father was! Maybe I should like him more for being imperfect in this way but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

My disconnection to story might have been exacerbated by the way they spoke and thought... or the way the overall story was told (and I'm not talking about the shifting POV's.) I felt the writing to be too easy, predictable. Each character always had something to say, had a way of responding that seemed contrived and fake to me. It seemed they said something or behaved in a certain manner because it's what was expected. Perhaps 'easy' isn't the right word. Neat? Yeah, everything was way too neat, as in 'this goes in that slot and that one in this slot.' Everything had a place, postion and sequence.

1.5/5
Thanks NETGALLEY!

No comments:

Post a Comment