Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark
Good Reads Summary

On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites--like fire and ice--Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move--only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
 
My Thoughts

Did I hate it? Nope. Did I love it? Not really. There's just a lot that's been tackled before in Beautiful Dark like, say the presence of three boys who are into the same girl for a variety of reasons. Or a girl caught between two opposing sides. Or say a girl unable to make her mind up on what whom to choose. The one thing that had me giggling was their names: there's a Skye, an Asher and a a Devyn. It's like when I read historical romances there's always a Lady or Lord or Viscount something or other of a frou frou name. Here, the names sound so made up like 'Barbie' or something; I couldnt help but giggle.

The story itself is nothing new. The first half went slow for me but had me curious enough to plod on. The second half is where all the big reveals were made. The famale MC is is typical.. smart, pretty. almost too perfect. She's got friends who are funny and pecuiar in their own right. The fact that one of her male BFF's was into her is not new too, but that she was aware of how he felt (instead of being oblivious to the same) was a a little refereshing. Sadly, that story line belonged to Dan and Cassie, her other bestfriends And speak of the supporting cast, I felt that Cassie read exactly like Norah's friend in Hush Hush (pushy, out there, some times insensitive, but the most plausible of the bunch nonetheless.) Dan and Ian added the needed sweetness in an otherwise very emo read. Her adoptive mother, was absent a lot but when she was in the picture acted the part of protective nad caring.... i reiterate the point of her being absent a lot.

The love interests were curious too. Once I knew what they were, nothing changed for me. The reveal just came a little too late, I felt I'd pieced it all together so many pages before that I didnt' care what made them special. Wnat's more (worse) is that like Ske, they kept creating drama where none was necessary. Why hold back information when they could reveal? (Anyway, any one could have pieced it together long before.)

It wasnt all bad though... I appreciated the humor that Asher had. His quips and non serious manner seriously annoyed me, but when he got serious I was impressed (even if those moments felt a little too dramatic.) Devyn with his more serious side was a tad better.

The ending was rushed, (just like mine to like this one.)

2.75/5
Thanks NETGALLEY!


No comments:

Post a Comment