Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) by Richelle Mead

Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)

Good Reads Summary


The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

My Thoughts


I didn’t read the synopsis (again,) because knowing that Adrian was in it was enough to have me impatient to start it. When I started it, I really wasn’t sure who was being paired with whom. And the end product is OK. Just OK though, nothing brilliant.

I suppose there’s a lot of reconnecting done here. I loved that aspect of it, but Bloodlines itself? It’s just an OK start to a new series; I am not completely in love with everything it had to offer. There are a bunch of stories lines in it:  One of the main story lines is how all of them (Eddie, Sidney and Adrian) must protect Jill from a Moroi plan to overthrow her sister. Sadly this aspect is not dealt with much, we simple know that she’s in hiding and must be kept secret.  This brings forth one thing I really didn’t like. Jill! She’s so passive. Bullied and shy, she rarely if ever got to speak up and act. And when she did act, she comes across as a spoiled little girl. She’s nothing like her sister, who in the VD series was poised but strong. Jill just seemed a bit weak (I might be judging her too harshly though, and the other books leave room for growth, right?)   

But focus should be given to Sydney. In VD, I thought her strong, passionate and sometimes blindly loyal. Here, she’s kick ass… but not as kick ass as Rose. Too bad. As the main character, I found her sometimes frustrating. Her loyalty to her family and to her job often had her boxed in. But I enjoyed reading how she worked within those limits… because I saw more of her. She’s didin’t see things in the black and white fashion as others like her did. She was flexible! And I liked seeing her vulnerability, her fear; she wasn’t all business all the time. As to her discovery, I’d like to know where Mead takes us.

Now Adrian. It’s not secret I am a big fan of his. It’s just that in this one… he’s got no direction *sad.* Events of past have got him stuck in his head and his sad and depressed and I just didn’t like reading this side of him! Stillk, he injected the necessary humor into Bloodlines time and again. I do hope the next books in this series have (all of them) them doing more.  

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment