Saturday, August 13, 2011

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Cold Kiss

 Good Reads Summary
 
“It seemed so right. Danny was mine, I was his, and that wasn’t going to work if he was dead. So I would make him not dead, not anymore. I didn’t think any further than what it would feel like to kiss him again, to wrap my arms around him and bury my head against his shoulder.

That was my first mistake. It also turned out to be the biggest.”

When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.

My Thoughts

I've been keeping my expectations of YA PNR low lately. That way I'm not too disappointed if something turns out sucky. I am pleasantly surprised by elements of Cold Kiss, despite bits of it being standard. One, girl loves boy but with an obstacle before them, things got difficult. Two, the same girl meets another boy who is just as delicious as the first, and tada triangle. Cold Kiss isn't not that simple though. True, the characters weren't fleshed out. True, the story took place right after she'd done the unspeakable. I didn't mind though as I enjoyed piecing them together, figuring out if they were good or not.

And in the end, I can honestly say that I don't not like Wren. I applauded her gung ho, "I don't need anyone attitude." I respected her independence. But realistically she really was weak and selfish given that it was her initial act that got the ball rolling. Shoud I give her props in recognizing that same fact? Is it enough for her to admit to being weak and selfish? It should be. So, heck, why not. But what's really annoying is how she treated the people around her... Gabriel especially. This boy positively puzzled me. 'He saw her' is what said. What pray tell did he see? From the way the story is told she'd basically isolated herself, cut herself off from her family, her friends. I understand why she acted that way she did... but do boys really like sulky girls? He puzzled me like he puzzled her. When she asked why.. so did I.

And while she's trying to figure out how to get out of the mess she'd found herself in, there's her family and friends to consider as well... Gabriel's too. I saw potential in Olivia, his sister; she too puzzled me too in her easygoing manner. But the part that could have been tackled a bit more was Wren's family, there were so many things left unsaid there. Her father, her mother.. their situation. I wanted to know so much more.

2.5/5
Thanks Net Galley!

No comments:

Post a Comment