Monday, August 29, 2011

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)

Good Reads Summary

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective wall. To the south, the King's powers are failing, and his enemies are emerging from the shadows of the throne. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the frozen land they were born to. Now Lord Eddard Stark is reluctantly summoned to serve as the King's new Hand, an appointment that threatens to sunder not only his family but also the kingdom itself. A heroic fantasy of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and evildoers who come together in a time of grim omens.

My Thoughts

It was this last scene that had me picking up GoT...


Dany standing naked with those baby dragons wrapping themselves around her and all those people who were so different from her in appearance, bowing before her like it was the second coming?! Well, what did you expect me to do? I simply had to know what was going to happen. Having seen the series, I WAS tempted to jump straight into CLASH OF KINGS. But I read GAME OF THRONES instead. No, I blazed through it. I have the series to thank for making things so easy for me. Had I not seen it, I think I'd have muddled throught Ned's world.

His world and his people are not that different from other epic fantasies that I have read given settings that read like an older, rougher and wilder kind of England European country. The people not that extraordinary as a whole, but it's the individual characters that drew me in.

I've read some say that they are just typical of the genre. I suppose Sansa is the prissy princess. I suppose Arya is the princess who doesn't want to be one. I guess Jon is the boy who finds himself out of place and diconnected from others and that Rob is the boy who finds himself with too many responsibilities on his shoulders before he is ready. So maybe they were typical, yet I enjoyed getting to know them more nonetheless given that the series didn't dig in as deep as I'd have liked.

So what I have now are people... not good people or bad people, but people who have tha capacity for both For example, I took Catelyn to be strong, independent and protective, the book showed a harsher side of her though. Or Dany, whom I thought of as victim in the series... she's not just that in the book though, she's so much more than that. Even the relationship between Lord Eddard and King Robert became clearer to me. And Ned's loss dislike of the king's wife and her family I understood just a bit more. And the Queen or Littlefinger? Awesome baddies if anything, but not just baddies, but people whose decisions are shaped by ambition and stuff that happened to them. So yeah, all of them, are people with capacity of good and bad.... so freaking good.

I'm going to watch the next series but in the meantime I can read ahead becasue I NEED to know what;s happened to Dany, Arya and Jon... Sansa can bite it, for all I care.

So freaking good.
4/5

And here's an even better rendiotion of that scene above

No comments:

Post a Comment