Sunday, August 7, 2011

Goliath (Leviathan #3) by Scott Westerfield

Goliath (Leviathan, #3)

Good Reads Summary

Alek and Deryn are on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek’s throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love. The first two objectives are complicated by the fact that their ship, the Leviathan, continues to detour farther away from the heart of the war (and crown). And the love thing would be a lot easier if Alek knew Deryn was a girl. (She has to pose as a boy in order to serve in the British Air Service.) And if they weren’t technically enemies.
The tension thickens as the Leviathan steams toward New York City with a homicidal lunatic on board: secrets suddenly unravel, characters reappear, and nothing is at it seems in this thunderous conclusion to Scott Westerfeld’s brilliant trilogy.
 
My Thoughts
 
'Goliath' even the title hints at the effort I exerted in reading it... which is not necessarily a bad thing just... different. It offers (this series) a totally different reading experience for me.


Thinking back to Leviathan, I remember having shelved it; only catching on to what others saw half way through my second time around with it. I'm used to 'give me fast and easy books', Leviathan and Behemoth are not any of those. Instead of fast and easy, I had to pace myself, pay a little more attention to Dylan's and Alek's world. It was a chore at first, for sure... but once the I'd grown accustomed to set pace, there was no way I wouldn't see it through. Fast forward to Goliath, and I still got the same feeling of 'I must read carefully.' Because, yes, I couldn't rush through it for fear of missing something big.

OK so after much thought, I'm going to say that I'm happy where things ended. I really didn't know what I wanted to happen. Prior to reading, I'd imagined the reveals done in the most shocking manner; I'd imagined someone being heartbroken; I'd even considered something tragic taking place. I'd also wondered where the story would take me in terms of them as a couple. Would there be a couple? Would there be an HEA? Did I really want an HEA? Especially since I'd lauded/praised/raved about how different Deryn/Dylan was from her peers with her tough and independent manner? Did I want her girl side to show up? I mean, her girly side was showing with the hints of crushes and love-unlikely. But... did I want an HEA? Or would going there take away the what made Leviathan and Behemoth different?

Anyhoot, I am happy with how things turned out: Dylan/Deryn is still tough and goal oriented. Alek had reverted to the Alek he was in Leviathan, the boy playing at being soldiers because upon his return he was feeling a tad out of place and functionless... and suspicious. Things got even more complicated with the introduction of a new character who'd been alluded to in the previous books: Tesla.

The war between the Clankers vs Darwinists is still in full throttle, but the best thing about this aspect of the story was how it affected Alec. He was so conflicted about his place. There's a lot of indecision from him. To trust or not? To Love or not? To Reveal or not?

This last installment manages to strike a balance between action and emotion.
4/5

Thank you Simon & Schuster!

****

Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
Me on LEVIATHAN
Me on BEHEMOTH

No comments:

Post a Comment