Monday, August 8, 2011

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

Raw Blue
Good Reads Summary

Carly has dropped out of uni to spend her days surfing and her nights working as a cook in a Manly café. Surfing is the one thing she loves doing ... and the only thing that helps her stop thinking about what happened two years ago. Then she meets Ryan and Carly has to decide ... Will she let the past bury her? Or can she let go of her anger and shame, and find the courage to be happy?

My Thoughts

Reading Raw had me breathing in, then breathing in some more until... him. Carly read honest and real and possible to me. I 'got' her. Am I being redundant in saying I was hooked by her flaws? She's so hard but she's so fearful too and it's all clear why. But she's still sad that way anyway and that's even given her words that were sometimes profound, sometimes heartbreaking but sometimes frustrating too.

It's the characters that impressed me most:

Carly isn't a simple girl rebelling (at all)... although that's what she seemed at first with her thoughts on "being pressed in a shape that didn't suit." She's Carly, who leaves me feeling as Tom (The Piper's Son) did because they both had me feeling, thinking and feeling some more.

What's got me thinking a little more is it wasn't only about her but also about the people around her; what they were to her and vice versa. That while she's at the center of it, there's Danny, Hanna....and Ryan's as well. Danny who sees people in colour is precisely as she describes him: precious. Hanna her polar oposite, emphasizes what she did have, inhibition, but manages to bring her a little out of her shell.

And Ryan. Why has this guy left such an impression on me? That's easy really: It's because he is such a simple guy. He's not there to save her, though it felt like he could have and might have even wanted to at some point. It's that he didn't and was just present that did it for me. He was just there.

Add the fact that I liked how easily the people around her chose to do things. To do something just because. It's what she needed; they are what she needed.

And the writing! Consider:
Finally I have a clear view of the surf and I feel an electric charge. It's a glitter skin day. The ocean is a vivid emerald colour and the wind ruffles the waves so that they shatter the sunlightt like glass. Seeing the glittering skin always tightens my thorat with joy. it's stupid, but that's how I feel: joyous.
It's visual and simple; all so easy to imagine, clear to see. I need to read this author's other stuff.

5/5

READ THIS BOOK!

****
Lines, the most awesome ever...

"8 is just an infinity symbol right side up."

"It scares me. I don't want to do it. But sometimes I think it's the only way I'll be able to turn off what's in my head."

"Why is the reality of attraction a;ways so claustrophobic?"

"Some phone calls he doesn't say much and I know he called just to hear my voice. That's all he wants- to hear me tell him about my day, what the surf's like, what work's like. And that's humbling, knowing that your voice can mean so much to another person.

1 comment:

  1. i know, right? it is ALL about the characters.

    also, love your quotes. it is SUCH a quotable book <3

    ReplyDelete