Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Saving June

Good Reads Summary

Harper Scott, trying to come to terms with her perfect older sister June's suicide, takes a road trip and finds love with a mysterious boy who had a connection to June-- and may know more about her sister's life and death than he's telling.

My Thoughts

There are so many lines to choose:
...from the sad, "I wish she was here, but she isn't, she never will be
And I have to get used to that."

...to the angry, "There is no fate," I say, "There's what you do and what you don't do."

...to the cutesy-funny, "Do you have a bobby pin?
"Yes, right here in my pocket along with a stick of gum, a shoelace and a number two pencil. Will that be enough for you MacGyver?"

...finally to the achingly romantic,
"Look. Stop. Breath."
His hand on my waist to the small of my back. It's all I can do not to shiver.
"Don't look at the floor.
Don't think about it...
Just move with me."

I adored this book because when there's there's music plus road trip plus release, what's not to like?  All these three things have me loving Saving June but above all it's the characters (again) who got me hooked. They leave me feeling as I did when I read Adam and Mia in Where She Went: weepy, emotional sad and happy and everything in between:

Harper isn't the most sympathetic of characters. I know she's in a place of pain, but at times she came across as too teen angsty in a nobody-gets-me or what-about-me way. But I have to say she's grew on me. And it was mainly through her interactions with Jake that I saw her wit her charm her strength come through. I simply loved their back and forth, their banter. Beyond the boy-girl aspect of the story, there's her story and Laney too. It was a sweet addition to see that Harper was more than just the grieving sister; she's a the loyal, strong friend too.

Now Jake. Well, allow me to swoon. Apart from the physical, he's a different kind of person. One can tell this from the firnsd they keep, right? I think it's the glimpses into who he was that has me feeling very strongly about him. Actually, I am feeling a big urge to compare him to my YA favorites: Tom and Adam. I mean all three of them have this mysterious inner pain thing going for them (the very same thing that had me wanting to hug them.) And that they had music was a definite plus. and talk of Jake and music? Oh, the passion! This boy loves his music and I felt it. This boy feels deeply, and I felt that too.


READ THIS!!
4/5
THANKS NETGALLEY! 

While the new cover is pretty, I find myself preferring this original cover. I don't know but the first time I heard of the book, this was the cover and I hope I get my copy soon.

Saving June

1 comment:

  1. oh i am so glad you loved this <3

    and that first cover is actually the Aussie one :) i think the US one was always the other one.

    xx Nomes

    ReplyDelete