Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bloodsong (Lharmell#1) by Rhiannon Hart

Blood Song (Lharmell #1)
Good Reads Summary

I wanted to turn but I was held captive by the song on the wind. I’m coming, I told the voices. Please, wait for me.

When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated.

Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more.

Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares?
 
My Thoughts

Blood Song is an easy kind of fantasy (fantasy lite, if you will). Zeraphina's world is not at all difficult to get into. The set up is pretty bare, and like the character we don't know that much. Consider, there's Amentia, her home. Then Pergamia, another kingdom. And of course, the mysterious Lharmell. But we do know some stuff: we know that she's the second daughter of an impoverished kingdom. We know that her sister is to wed the prince of another. And we also know what Zeraphina has this craving for blood.

The basic mystery really is what she is. And truth be told? I wasn't that surprised to find out the answer to that question (given that there were lots of clues to pick up on long ways before the reveal.) But what comes as an absolute delightful surprise is the love interest. I know! I'm sorry, but I feel as I did when I read Eona. It wasn't the epic fantasy, people journeying, or archers and magic that had me sitting up and paying attention. I was all about Rodden and Zeraphina!

I enjoyed reading how they played off on each other, where she is sometimes prissy, sometimes bratty, more often than not single minded; he is mysterious, quiet, broody and suspicious to the point of being paranoid! But as they got drawn together, well, I was a puddle! Everything she complained of in him, was true. Likewise, most everything he disliked in her was true too. Yet they simply clicked. I suppose some would have a problem with him being overbearing and bossy and needlesly mysterious, and some would have a problem with her her being bratty (given her initial tendency to hurl things and stomp like a child in a tantrum when she didnt get her way!) But they both grow... and adjust. I liked seeing them work things out but not to the extent that the sparks between them disappeared. One word: Cute. Wait, make that two: it was cute and entertaining reading how much they repelled each other but were drawn to each other nonetheless.

I didn't really mind all her "what am I, who am I?" questions. Questions like these have been tackled before and here that aspect of the story progressed much the same as other stories have. And other than reading their developing relationship (which, like I said, I totally got a kick out of,) I also enjoyed reading more about the baddies in this one. Lharmell The place? Deadly. Its people? Magical, creepy, and bloodthirsty! I would have liked to read more of the creatures though especially given her relationship with Leap and Griffin.

It's fantasy lite and easy to get into. But for myself, I'm all about Rodden and Zeraphina... I WANT NEED the next book now!

3.5-/5

P.S. Cover? Awesome, me thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment