Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Unsticky by Sarra Manning

Unsticky
Good Reads Summary

High fashion, high art, high expectations – this is Pretty Woman for the twenty-first century Money makes the world go round – that’s what twenty-something Grace Reeves is learning. Stuck in a grind where everyone’s ahead apart from her, she’s partied out, disillusioned, and massively in debt. If she’s dumped by another rock-band wannabe, squashed by anyone else at her cut-throat fashion job, or chased by any more bailiffs, Grace suspects she’ll fall apart…

So when older, sexy and above all, wealthy art-dealer Vaughn appears, she’s intrigued against her will. Could she handle being a sugar daddy’s arm candy?

Soon Grace is thrown into a world of money and privilege, at Vaughn’s beck and call in return for thousands of pounds in luxurious gifts, priceless clothes – and cash. Where’s the line between acting the trophy girlfriend, and selling yourself for money?

And, more importantly: whatever happened to love?


My Thoughts

I’m torn between hating everyone in this book to loving it (mostly because I cannot stop thinking about them.) It’s an absolute puzzle really. There was nothing good in them! The girl went from being superficial, whiny and a doormat then worse, and the boy (If I can call Vaughn that) is controlling, manipulative, emotionally stunted and was absolute arse on SEVERAL occasions.

So, why was I reading it again? Should I say it was their very imperfection that drew me? I suppose so because I just could not pull myself away from it. Even if several times I had to relax my jaws from clenching too hard, too long, too frequently. Even if I had to put UNSTICKY down several times because my stomach simply ached at how badly he could treat her… and that she would let him! And it was a feeling that I felt that kept up a good portion of the book. Because ten percent in, twenty percent in… ninety percent, I was still wondering at what a sad pair they made at how broken they were, and at how incredibly fucked up they came across.

I really can’t say as I loved their story, and I might even go out on a limb and say I hated them at times (dislike is too tame a word.) I made the mistake that UNSTICKY would be an easy read… quick, and fun, and maybe with a few moments of me tearing up a little. I was wrong. Both of them made me angry as both of them screwed up time and again, but as their ending suggests, maybe they were made for each other.

It started as a two for me, then steadily increased to an almost four, but I’m swayed by the fact that if really don’t like them as individuals, but in sad romantic way still hold hope for them as a couple. I’m going with a 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment