Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey

Witch Eyes
Good Reads Summary

Braden was born with witch eyes: the ability to see the world as it truly is: a blinding explosion of memories, darkness, and magic. The power enables Braden to see through spells and lies, but at the cost of horrible pain.

After a terrifying vision reveals imminent danger for the uncle who raised and instructed him, Braden retreats to Belle Dam, an old city divided by two feuding witch dynasties. As rival family heads Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe desperately try to use Braden's powers to unlock Belle Dam's secrets, Braden vows never to become their sacrificial pawn. But everything changes when Braden learns that Jason is his father--and Trey, the enigmatic guy he's falling for, is Catherine's son.

To stop an insidious dark magic from consuming the town, Braden must master his gift—and risk losing the one he loves.


My Thoughts

I have had my fill of girls going swoon-y over mysterious boys, so of late I’ve been picking up one YA after another with boy protagonists. I haven’t regretted my decision so far. From Anna Dressed in Blood to Ward Against Death, everything that’s passed my hands have been winners in their own right. Where Cas was smug and confident and Ward was coming into his own (if just a bit unsure of what he could should do,) here Braden is something in the middle: he knows he’s special with Witch Eyes and all, yet is unintentionally aware of the goings on around him. And then add that he was also getting used to who he was. So 10 %  in, I was feeling a bit ho-hum about it all (as in, “I think I’ve read this before,”) then I got to chapter nine, then chapter ten, then lo, it was over!

So what do I say now?

It’s a bit like Romeo and Juliet with the family feuds and children of the same falling for each other. Only in Witch Eyes everyone was more suspicious, everyone was holding something back from the other. It’s also a bit like Morganville, as in a town where something suspicious was going on, but for one reason or another, people looked the other way.  And you know what? I liked it! Never mind that Braden sometimes came across a little like Ethan in Beautiful Creatures, because I liked getting to know him. And I also liked getting to know everyone else around him. It’s just too bad that the people weren’t as developed as I would have liked because then I might have taken away more from/of them.

All that said, things did progress quickly with most my questions answered. While Braden’s story isn’t a romance (thank gosh,) there is an element of that that's present, so I cannot help but comment on it. He and Trey made like a believable/likeable couple: awkward at first, a bit unsure later on, and later still, suspicious with a mix of protective and attracted to consider. I was rooting for them because I simply enjoyed watching them interact.

3.5/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment