Monday, October 24, 2011

Geek Girl by Cindy C Bennett

Geek Girl

Good Reads Summary

"Think I can turn that boy bad?" 17-year-old Jen turns her life upside down when, out of boredom, she makes a bet that she can turn school geek Trevor into someone like her. Instead, the goth girl finds herself sucked into his world of sci-fi movies, charity work, and even-ugh!-bowling. To truly belong with him-and with her new foster family-she must first come to terms with her violent past.

Authors note: Geek Girl has been optioned by Cedar Fort Publishing, and is therefore currently unavailable. It will become available again in December, 2011. Thanks to everyone who has asked about it, and want to know when it will be available!


My Thoughts

There’s nothing new here, but GEEK GIRL’S easy style and quick pace are what’s gotten me out of my reading funk. *THANK GOSH!* While the story is predictable in that there’s a good guy, a not-so-good girl and an ill-conceived dare of turning one of them otherwise, it wasn’t boring.

As said, she is not so good. The ‘why’ of that is a sad story all on its own. HOWEVER, I could never completely connect with her because it all just felt a tad neat, forced. Like someone saying there had to be a reason behind her antics. I felt that had she been bad just because without delving into her history, I might have bought her tough girl fa├žade more. As is, she read more like someone who reacted. So while I did understand her choices, she just didn’t click for me. It was all a bit “because this was the way it was for me before, then I’m this way now.” egh

Now, to the so called geek. He totally isn’t! He is musically inclined, has very good grades, was apparently into sports, and is a really good brother. He sounds like any other boy. Add the fact that he's voted into several positions that are not geek at all. (a) Homecoming King and even later (b) SBO President, just do not read geek to me.

So, perhaps this is the main thing that had me wondering about their story; the labels she put on herself (and on others) was so limiting. That she considers herself imperfect, and him geeky-good, and others cheerleaders or jocks and what not, was not accurate… but that was the point I guess.

OK…
THANKS NETGALLEY!
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment