Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster

Good Reads Summary


The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


My Thoughts

Oy Vey! The drama! I’d been warned that the drama could be over the top… and indeed it was. Despite this, I found myself reading it in one sitting. Why? I couldn’t get enough of both characters who were as the title suggests disasters, both as individuals and later together. Co-dependency, table for two please.

I’m likely to nitpick but while I disliked them, there were aspects of them that I did enjoy. Still, I think Abby was worse than Travis. Here’s a run down: She’s got a secret of her own, he’s a douche… at the beginning at least. When they meet, they know they’re no good for each other, yet they still end up together. Then they break up then they get together again then…

Here’s the good: they knew they were no good for each other. Here’s the bad: where he is insecure, jealous and controlling, she had a tendency toward running away and not dealing with things. Where he was only “complete” with her, she thought (IMO) that “she could save him.”

Yet, here I am still thinking about them! All righty, Beautiful Disaster’s a drama of the soap opera variety, but there’s a reason people watch those things and a reason I couldn’t tear myself from this.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment