Tuesday, November 15, 2011

the future of us by jay asher and carolyn mackler

The Future of Us

Good Reads Summary

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet.

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.


My Thoughts




I’m recalling some pretty interesting funny things care of my family. The nineties as history?! There was my brother and his love for Wayne’s World, and low slung jeans plus puffy sweaters. My sister and her love of the group soul ballad. Boyz 2 Men, it mentions, but my sister was all about All Saints. And later still there was her fondness for the Backstreet Boys and their Quit Playing with-what’s it. I, on the other hand, had Captain Planet and Gem to focus on (wait, it will come back to you.) So in 1996 all I’m remembering is Saturday morning cartoons. And that Cricket doll (with a creepy resemblance to Chucky, the doll possessed by that psycho soul.) Why do I find it funny that it’s a time is marked by what people found popular? I feel a little like the nineties is too recent a past to be looked upon like it is the Past with a capital P, as in capable of being the subject of something so vague as in time travel, but hey.. .why not?

So to the book, I thought the concept quirky if not as well executed as the one in READY PLAYER ONE (Read that one now).  Common element? Warm and fuzzy moments of 'remember when?' Emma gets a PC and logs on to the facebook... fifteen years in the future! My First thought: isn't there a danger of it becoming dated? Right now, it’s quirky reading how someone in the past reads something so commonly occurring. But give it a few years, and THE FUTURE OF US will likely read odd. But that’s the point, right?

That aside, the people in the story are nothing new. I enjoyed Josh more than I did Emma. For one, she could be so insensitive and self involved. Josh on the other hand is pretty ordinary. Their reactions to the same thing emphasized these aspects of them. I’d have loved to see more of Tyson, especially how easy and jokey he could be.

So, they have a history and when one screwed up and so did the other; there’s really not that much to it. 1996 as history and facebook as the future are about all that’s different here.
So moving on.

2.5/5
PBT #3

No comments:

Post a Comment