Thursday, November 24, 2011

How to Kill A Rock Star by Tiffanie De Bartolo

How to Kill a Rock Star

Good Reads

Written in her wonderfully honest, edgy, passionate and often hilarious voice, Tiffanie DeBartolo tells the story of Eliza Caelum, a young music journalist, and Paul Hudson, a talented songwriter and lead singer of the band Bananafish. Eliza's reverence for rock is equaled only by Paul's, and the two fall wildly in love.

When Bananafish is signed by a big corporate label, and Paul is on his way to becoming a major rock star, Eliza must make a heartbreaking decision that leads to Paul's sudden disappearance and a surprise knock-your-socks-off ending.



My Thoughts

i've change my rating from five to one to two and settled on three (though i still feel like i am doing the story an injustice in so doing.) and why? that damned ending is why!

I CAN'T. STOP. CRYING... that damned twist had me sobbing like a baby. only later still, this damned book had me gaping like an idiot. one thing after another had me wondering if was i reading it right or had i just gone too long without sleep, was i supplanting what my imagination wanted to have happened? the five stars up there… are due mostly to the first 86%, but the 'thereafter' is something i choose to set aside as some sort of strange made for hollywood alternate ending.

the first 86% percent or so would have been perfect. given the drama that had taken place as well as the romantic connections made as well as how the latter blew up in their faces: all these things left me ache-y and angry and hoping a little more for her. only, i wish i hadn’t asked for more, because soon thereafter i was lost.

even with the way things turning out as unbelievably sweet and romantic... i could not grasp how i could go from bawling like an idiot… to sitting up and scratching my head. so, this is me having made the conscious choice of erasing that last part from my memory. because really, if i even dare consider it, the five star i am contemplating would do a drastic nose dive toward 2! so no, that ending did not just happen.

a couple of things are certain: there’s a lot to take in. it was the music that first hooked me. give me a story of a boy and his passion for music and i’m there. if nothing else, paul is passionate about his music. and yes, i loved that about him. that he was deathly afraid of selling out had me nodding along too, but his choices still baffled me. and then there's eliza with a passion of her own which led to the dumbest of decisions. gods! their choices were ridiculously over the top… and sometimes plain old ridiculous. yet, here i am still thinking about them (or more accurately them in the first 80 plus percent.)

this is chock full of drama and angst and anger and music. as well as passionate people with idiosyncrasies that endeared them to me. and along the way there's romance and connections that went deep too. there's a lot of introspection too but the same fact did not stop their propensity toward stupid decisions. oi! yes, there's a lot of stupidity too. so take those choices and those feelings and this is me churned up and a little confused about how i feel with how things turned out.

2? 3? 5? Aaagh!

No comments:

Post a Comment