Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend, #1)
Good Reads Summary

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills


My Thoughts

I was expecting more. It’s short so it should be no surprise that parts of it were thin. What did surprise me was how similar they were. Told from alternating points of view, the two are really not that different. Both are smart, fast and quick on their feet… except that they find themselves on opposing ends. And then of course the inevitable development of an attraction between them, said fact only made the story a little more similar to other stories already told. Although at one point I found myself comparing him to Robin Hood with the tendency to do good. But, frankly, I’ve read this before.

Not that I’m complaining that loudly because there were good moments: see the action sequences that just wouldn’t quit; see death defying leaps from buildings; see wrestling matches that came out of nowhere. And see two protagonists both strong, both smart, and both motivated by what they think to be right. And it’s because of their actions that so many things happen to them, see: The Making of Legend

Still… I was expecting more. Like I said, while both are good people, sometimes it was hard to differentiate the two… there was a tendency to sound identical. And there’s the fact that world building that left a lot to be desired. Seriously? I feel like I’ve read tons of books with plague here and plague there and a government that knows best. Sound familiar? We see how things are but don’t really get a sense as to what led things to that way. And my biggest problem is how the big reveals were made. Well, I felt it had come too easy… ridiculously easy.

Those things aside LEGEND entertained me with two smart leads in a catch me if you can scenario... too bad it ended too quickly.

3/5

2 comments:

  1. LOL> i love how you sound in your reviews.

    i liked this one a lot more than you ~ it was no hunger games, but i got right into it and read it =in one day (which is good for me lately. i havent been in much of a reading mood...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi nomes!

    i really need to pay attention to the comments! i just read this... i enjoyed bits of Legend, but it seems I've been reading too many YA "dystopias" (see the quotes?) lately.

    ReplyDelete