Saturday, December 17, 2011

Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott


Good Reads Summary

A powerful tale of magic, love, and revenge set in fairy-tale Japan.

Trained in the magical art of shadow-weaving, sixteen-year-old Suzume is able to re-create herself in any form - a fabulous gift for a girl desperate to escape her past. But who is she really? Is she a girl of noble birth living under the tyranny of her mother's new husband, Lord Terayama? Or a lowly drudge scraping a living in the ashes of Terayama's kitchens? Or is she Yue, the most beautiful courtesan in the Moonlit Lands? Whatever her true identity, Suzume is destined to use her skills to steal the heart of a prince in a revenge plot to destroy Terayama. And nothing will stop her, not even the one true aspect of her life- her love for a fellow shadow-weaver. 


My Thoughts
I gush now… (again)

This late in the year, I truly wasn’t expecting another one of these books~ another one of these books that I love. I’ve been on a reading wave of ups and downs and kept things interesting by switching from realistic contemps to paranormals to adult UF’s and to whole a hell lot of ‘dytopias.’ Sure, I’d come across some duds but thankfully there were some really good ones in there as well. This definitely counts among the latter.

Blindsided.  


Two things I am sure of : (1) I was not expecting to feel what I felt for her, for her story this late in the year. And (2) this is definitely a favorite. If the combination of fantasy, romance and a setting that’s Japan inspired doesn’t get you, will me saying it brought a lot of what I felt for Eon/ Eona back do so? (And I love those books. No joke.) What’s better though is how this story kicks things up a notch because the writing is superb. At one point a bit poetic, it was heart breaking; then at other points, was absolutely vivid in description.

Story 


Hers starts with tragedy. That plus everything after it molded her, strengthened her. “My feebleness disgusted me. Who was this trembling idiot of a girl? How had such a weak, stupid little creature survived when others- so much braver, cleverer and more lovely – had not? But the fear the fear lay on me like a second skin, smothering and cold.” But it was her power in particular was quite new to me, that made her just a little bit more.

Characters. 


Truth? Each version of her tugged at me. All aspects of her: the awkward and unsure, the quiet and haunted, the beautiful and seductive mystery, and finally, the avenging guilt ridden one, had me fascinated. Everything she went through, everything she had to do… had me feeling so many things (I was fearing, cheering, tearing up a little for her.)

It’s been likened to that of Cinderella’s. Given that, there’s bound to be a fairy godmother (or two) in it. Those who played said role, had me wanting a little more from them too. Both Youta and Akira San had me waiting for the little tidbits they’d reveal of themselves. It’s safe to say, that I enjoyed the both of them just as much as I did Suzume.

Her mother. When Youta explains a little of what Suzume could do, he unwittingly touches on my issues with her mother. Her mother, her mother… her mother! I don’t know what to say about this woman except that I’m torn. (view spoiler)[ Him saying ‘people trust their eye above all else – but most people see what they wish, or what they believe they should see, not what is really there,’ explained people turning a blind eye to things. And IMO, her mother had time and again turned a blind eye to what blind was to what seemed obvious to me. Or was she, blind to it all I mean. And if she wasn’t could I blame her for finding solace in the creeper? (hide spoiler)]

Plus you all have to get a load of Terayama, the BEST bad guy yet.

THANK YOU NETGALLEY

4.5/5

Note: This is the cover on version to be released April 2012. I stuck in the one I preferred up there.
Shadows on the Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment