Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dreaming Awake (Falling Under #1) by Gwen Hayes

Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2)Dreaming Awake by Gwen Hayes

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


It’s too bad that the main thing I did like in the first book was virtually absent in this one. What one thing? Those nightmare snippets of sisters sewn together, of burning men and the like, well… little of those were in this one.

I’d come into this knowing what I disliked in Theia and Haden, so there were no big surprises from their department. The last one ended with things upside down.  Instead of love having conquered all, making someone better than they were, they’d been placed on equal footing. Instead of one bettering himself, there was a downgrading of sorts, a la Fiona and Shrek (it seems trolls and demons have a need for love too, just not outside their kind.)

For all that, I was surprised by how not annoying I found Theia to be. All of them in fact, left me feeling little in terms of liking/disliking. Yes, there were moments where she was dense, when they were all dense. But over all, there was nothing in this (or them) for me to feel strongly about. I feel the same way for this book as I do for pudding. As in, “OK. Thank You. What else you got for me?”  Things are not helped by what perceived as a clunky storyline on the part of her sidekicks. A love spell gown awry? A love that’s recognized a little too late? All those side bits didn’t mesh too well in the end.

The most interesting bit is how not all of it is told by Theia  or by Haden’s disembodied voice for that matter. Those moments with Donny, Gabe and Amelia exclusively were interesting peeks into what made them tick. This is true even if some of their worst nightmares revealed them to be vain fools. Skeletor? Gabe, really! I was starting to like you, too.

2/5




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment