Friday, January 27, 2012

It's a Wonderful Life by Jesse Goossens

It's a Wonderful LifeIt's a Wonderful Life by Jesse Goossens

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I liked how bits make an attempt at making something grim less so~ as with Daniel, his bet and the numerous people coming up to her with their respective stories. I liked Ann Bot’s odd ball, movie quoting antics... at first. I even  liked the thought that she'd had to move across the ocean to find  herself, making her come across as how as independent and strong and mature. Sure, she was all those things at certain points, but she could also sound young, be na├»ve, and act melodramatic.

I'd probably have loved it more had the translation been better.  As is, her being odd never breached the point of me feeling more than amused but it manage to go to the point of me feeling slightly uncomfortable for those listening to her. I mean what exactly does one respond with when faced with a line out of the movie? She’s random and could be so out of place sometimes, and I’m not talking about her across the globe traveling either.

Maybe the fact that the story is twice removed from my tongue, added to it feeling a bit stilted. Factor in the small town warmth that was a touch too cutesy quaint, well… I think some will find it charming; personally, though it just wasn’t my thing. I read on though because other than Ann, odd ball behavior abound. The town she’d found herself in was quiet welcoming, but filled such Personalities. One person with his ‘everyday is a holiday;’ another with his I love my job and I’ll convince you, they all seemed random and sometimes inauthentic.  YET I had to read on, wanting to see what their point was.

It’s a Wonderful Life is an interesting concept of one jumping into something foreign only to become more at home there than from whence one came. Still, some of the people around Ann were just too odd and out there but not quiet endearing enough (or sometimes too much so) for me to like. So much so that my favorite moments were not when something sweet took place, but rather were those moments of her contemplating how different she was and how lonely she’d been/could be.

2.5/5
THANKS NETGALLEY!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment