Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2) by Beth Revis

A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)A Million Suns by Beth Revis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5/5

It kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat. I definitely enjoyed it more than I did Across the Universe. That the first book was one of my first reads into what would be YA sci fi slanted toward space, might explain my lukewarm reception of it. And while I did like the idea of a world prior to something like A Knife of Never Letting Go, (which is what I thought it would be,) perhaps I was underwhelmed by the Elder-Amy connection that was thrown in. Except, I must admit I was thrilled *read shocked* by the big reveals in it as with the surprises on who was ‘good,’ as well as who wasn’t, and even that on how they got a start in the first place. 

Amy is an even bigger surprise in this one even if it’s mostly Ender on the page. Big surprise, I say because if in the first book it was her in the between  sleep and not-sleep moments that struck me as haunting and scary; here, it’s her recalling what she’d recently gone through and making decisions of of that that impressed me. No little girl here, neither a love struck teen, she’d gone through something, made decisions and acted.

If moments with her painted a picture of a young woman haunted, moments with Elder painted one of man who’s conflicted. I like that he was trying and was never really sure about what he was doing. That he’s not superhero material or anything is clear, and it’s this fact that let’s old questions surface that seemed to have been laid to rest in the first book.

Of course, with him being so young and leading (seemingly reluctantly,) I did see what was coming in terms of ‘following the leader.’ And still I was on the edge of my seat. I do have say, the people in this are not as bloodthirsty as the ones in Glow, and still they manage to have a very similar dark vibe to them. And still, that didn’t put me off because I was hoping the best for them. 


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment