Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Thief (Queen's Thief #1) by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It is a relatively short book but NOT a quick read. I enjoyed the story despite it being slow in parts.

What’s good. It's Gen, the thief, who’s funny and clever. He knows what he can do and is aware of his faults.  And what's better is how he didn’t go on and on about himself.  I can’t help but like him even though I did not know that much about him in the beginning (and even in the middle of the book.)  He reveals very little of himself, but I was only too aware of what he thought of his abilities as a thief (with his “I can steal anything,” right?) This lack of information had me wanting to know more… and with each little bit, I found myself liking him more and more. The same can be said for his companions Magus, Po, Sophos and even Ambiades.

Things went slow though. It’s solidly written but I must admit I went in thinking some pretty big things were hidden and I kept waiting for things like him he really being a girl to pop out of nowhere. Yet, I had to piece things together and not rush through it even if there weren't that many big thrills nor that many details to work with.

Perhaps it’s the pace AND lack of detail that added more to the suspense. I simply needed to know more of where they were, who the players were, what they were doing and why they were doing what they’d set out to do. Like I said, things did get boring, so one of the main reasons I’m looking forward to the next one is because of those reveals near the end. Those reveals, btw? There were hints pointing to what was coming; only it’s took me a couple of looks back to see them for what they really were.

3.5/5




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment