Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles #2) by Patrick Rothfus

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A lot to take in. A couple of moments had me nodding off. The same fact held true for Name of the Wind, but I at least I found that one refreshingly different. This second book, I didn’t love as much.

The first third involves a lot of back pedaling, rehashing, going over, (in much the same way that I use these words one after another.  Get it?) If I were being completely honest, the only parts that truly got a kick out of me almost always had Bast or the Chronicler in them. Kvothe’s second day has lost a lot of what I liked in his first day of recalling what he’d seen, learned, met and mastered. His recollections of his past self, revealed a boy full of himself (for good reason or not because the boy could be arrogant.) He’s simply too perfect. And in the rare instance that he wasn’t brilliant, well, he didn’t stay that way forever. A run down:

1. University. The first portion goes over a lot of what Name of the Wind tackled of a poor boy making his way through University, struggling to make tuition.  It’s the same boy whose great skill and brilliance in all fields wows some but alienates most. It’s the same boy mooning over a girl most unlikely; the same, making friends with the most unlikely of people.)

2. Patron search. There’s  another long winded hunt for a patron. Dear Gods! All those lessons on what’s proper and not? Mind bogglingly boring, I tell you.  And frankly, I thought, unneeded. Where were the parts of awesome that peppered the Name of the Wind? Where were the parts that had me chuckling in the dark? Where were the entertaining conversations that revealed the boy’s arrogance, while unintended made him both annoying and a little endearing?

3. Mercenaries. He’d set off with a group of them that viewed him as a good for nothing spoiled something or other. Taking all that in stride, he proves them wrong, makes friends with them, then learns all sorts of mercenary ways.

4. Felurian and the Forest.   Later still he’s ensnared by The Fey goddess death by sex powers to boot. But lo and behold,  our boy out-sexes her, has the goddess fall in love with him and have her gift him with a magical cloak of shadow. Was there nothing he could NOT do?

5. In Haert. With his new-found mercenary friend, he learns some Secret Ways only to offend an entire people. I do confess it’s this portion that entertained me. I love that he fell flat on his ass time and time again. I love that he got schooled by some warrior women and child. It was entertaining how he mastered ninja-sounding moves like ‘Dancing Maiden’ and ‘Break Lion.’

I could go on…   but that it’s a rather long story, full of what he did, what he learned is no joke. And honestly, it was entertaining at points, I simply could have done with one or two moments more of awesome. Bast and Chronicler are what first come to mind in this regard. I loved their banter. I enjoyed how at one moment, Bast is sweetly childlike and loving where his Reshi is concerned; only to be coldly terrifying with the Chronicler. Or Elodin and his insane methods and seemingly pointless questions, him I found completely hilarious!

He goes from place to another mastering something new, impressing some and earning the hate of most others most others. Yet despite this boy who reads annoyingly brilliant, with a story that’s (a bit) long-winded, I’d be lying if I said I wouldn't be reading Day Three.

3/5




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment