Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Anderson

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Why is it that every single time I pick up a fantasy my reading schedule gets screwed up? I always have to slow down and take in the detail of which there was many here. Mistborn has everything I like in these books:  a sort of quest to though not of boy but rather of a thieving girl. She’s a Skaa or of the slave race except in this case she’s special. It’s her magic that got me. I know I’ve never read anything quite like them. This pushing and pulling of metals? This burning of metals for strength or for some other power? It was all very new and very different to me. And I loved every moment of it. Sure the beginning was a tad slow, but once I got used to the pace, I loved it.  Though I may want to read more of these fantasies, I never do get to do more than one or two a month, heck two months even.  And it’s because every single one leaves me spent. If the world building is done right, and the characters are done well too, then the detail to take in calls for focus. Plus most these books are monsters in size. Yet, I come back time and again, don’t I?



Mistborn has a lot of the things I’ve come to love in books of the same genre: A different kind of world. A different kind of magic. And characters to cheer for, laugh with then sob over a little in the end.  Here’s what I liked:



The world. Here, it’s details, details, details galore. The pushing and pulling of metals, the burning of the same for one power or another is quite honestly something I have never read before. Or that it’s yet another world divided between the nobility who hold the magic and the slave race, Skaa. Or even the Lord Ruler. Each bit was explained because each bit was vital to the story. 



The people. A good deal of the story does revolve around Vin. She is a special thief with something special to her. And I also liked Kel, with his endless humor (because that was all he had.) Even his “vision” rang honest. It was really entertaining see his crew see him in a different light. Because if at first they had him pegged, one is quick to realize that there is a plot behind plot and a plan beyond another. Kelsier is not simple… but none of them were. 



But rather than the individuals it’s how they link to the others that I enjoyed most:



Take the almost paternal affection Kelsier had for Vin. It simplified everything, didn’t it? How they became connected, how they were basically two of a kind and where one needed to learn from the other, then the other had to train. Both were reluctant in taking on those roles; her with her abandonment/trust issues, then him with his issues in general. Or take Kelsier and his newly reunited crew. There’s past there; there’s a trust there that Vin just could not grasp at first, but slow the exposure she became more than the observer, even becoming more a part of the whole. Then Elend and his Vallette: I did enjoy them together. At first, minor irritants to each other… only something more a bit later. Simply, they were a sweet addition



Beyond the people in it, it’s the world, the magic that marks this as different for me.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment