Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver

Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)

Good Reads Summary
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.


Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite. 


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


WHAAAAAT. THE .FUDGE! That ending! That ending has me going:


Photobucket

And it’s that awesome ending, cliffy-crappy as it is that accounts for most of what I loved in this book. Because truth be told, I feel like I knew what was going to happen next. every. single. time.


Her getting used to the new place felt quick to me; too quick in fact, because one moment she’s struggling to survive, and the next she’s helping out and making connections with all these new people. New people that I knew little about. And perhaps it’s this unfamiliarity that had me drawing back a little from them. And if that wasn’t all, the story is split between her time new in the Wild and then suddenly with her back where she’d just come from. And these shifts were jarring and sudden and yeah, I repeat: jarring. So much so that I felt like I knew what was coming on, but I just wasn’t completely sure.

So back to all those new people. There’s Raven and Tack whose passion for their cause tipped me off that something was up. It’s just that for most of the book, I had this niggling feeling in the back of my head that someone wasn’t who they said they were or that someone somewhere was keeping something back. And it was said feeling that kept reading even though, every now and then I’d exclaim, “I knew it. I called it!” after something big would happen.

The sad thing is everything felt too rushed for me. Her first waking moments in the wild, then subsequent peeks into her moments back… went by quickly, with very few details. There’s so few details that I wanted more of… but again everything happened quickly, people went in and out of her life quickly. And that’s the impression left to me of this one: it’s a quick book. Heck, even the attachments she made with a couple of them felt too quickly formed. So it's a tad too quick, a tad too brief even though I wanted more, and that damned cliffy only compounds my feeling of want. more. right. now.


3.5/5



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment