Monday, February 13, 2012

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

A Visit from the Goon SquadA Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Impressive use of slides (Hello, chapter 12!) and impressive bridging of one story to the next… It’s just that I wish that there’d have been more than just one chapter that left me feeling something more.


Certainly, I found myself piecing them together, trying to figure how this character’s or that character’s chapter fit into the arc. And that was my primary mistake: thinking that there was one. Because there was no one arc, instead as I’ve already pointed out, theirs were individual stories. And yes, I liked some, skimmed one, (then went over it, feeling guilty;)I even found myself gaping at some points. But in the end, I find myself parroting someone’s 'subarctic' right now.

Because beyond making one story flow to the next, connecting one person to the next, well, I felt little for them.


3/5



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment