Tuesday, May 1, 2012

All These Lives by

All These Lives
Good Reads Summary
 
All These Lives by Sarah Wylie

Sixteen-year-old Dani is convinced she has nine lives. As a child she twice walked away from situations where she should have died. But Dani’s twin, Jena, isn’t so lucky. She has cancer and might not even be able to keep her one life. Dani’s father is in denial. Her mother is trying to hold it together and prove everything’s normal. And Jena is wasting away.

To cope, Dani sets out to rid herself of all her extra lives. Maybe they’ll be released into the universe and someone who wants to live more than she does will get one. Someone like Jena. But just when Dani finds herself at the breaking point, she’s faced with a startling realization. Maybe she doesn’t have nine lives after all. Maybe she really only ever had one.


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Don’t let the nine lives idea fool you, this is more of a sister-sister story, much like Imaginary Girls was with the major deduction of any paranormal element. I loved it though this is not necessarily what I feel for Dani, the MC.

I wanted to like her.  And I did like her at first too. But she had very little qualms about who she was and what she did. She could be such a bully. She could be so mean. And I wanted to forgive her that fact. I was close to doing so several times in the book mainly because she had this humor to her. Sure, I enjoyed her poking fun at others; sure, I had a good laugh… but it was always at the expense of someone else. Did I forgive her meanness because she could be mean in a funny way? I wanted to. Did I accept her the way she was because she was going through some things? I wanted to.

And maybe I did. Because at its core this is another sister story. That they’re close is to put it mildly. And that Dani reacts differently is yet another reaction. Their notions of being back-ups for each other, was simultaneously sweet and heart breaking, but limiting too. Because there’s only so much you can do for someone else because it’s also this part of the story where Dani stretches the acceptable to the limit.

Moving beyond Jena needing her, or Dani needing Jena, or their parents needing them and  vice versa, there’s also bits of it just about Dani. As said, she the girl could be mean and it was those moments where she shone a little brighter; I could see just how quick to quip and out of the box she could be. I liked/disliked this aspect of her because sometimes things are just best left unsaid… this is so even if she did make a couple of very valid points. Mean girl/funny kid she is.

I would have loved this more with a little more fleshing out on the parts of the supporting characters… but I enjoyed it. I really did.

3.5/5
Thanks Net Galley!


Also, I has cover luv!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment