Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

The Catastrophic History of You and Me
Good Reads Summary
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever.

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


It’s not what I was expecting: funny mostly but not all of the time.

The Good

Those nifty chapter titles; I loved those because they touched little on what she loved and she loved a lot. She has had a passion for older music, a skill for diving, and a love for those close to her. And it was that last bit I appreciated the most: she’s close to them. I also liked her having these ideas about the people around her, feeling comforted when they lived up to her notions, then being so confused (shocked) when they didn’t. It’s her boyfriend, best friend and father acting totally out of character that shocked her most. So in way the book isn’t all about her. It’s about them and how they deal, which is where the sad factors in.

The Better

And yes, sure, it wasn’t all about her, but a good deal of the hilarious bits was her coming to grips with where she ended up. Her version of heaven is a pizza parlor,  (a version I would willingly take up as my own.) But it’s the people in it, one person in it, who made it even more interesting: Patrick. The moment he’s in the picture you get the feeling that there’s something more to him than the funny, cocky, brash over-confident boy. You’d be right.  But I stop here because imagining past his whatever jacket, (what was it again?) and getting to know him is when most of the fun took place.


The Iffy


Ok, I have to but the back story of who Patrick was has me feeling iffy. The romantic in me should be swooning over the idea of being someone’s “always and forever.” But, do I really buy that? The title is so appropriate: catastrophic and all. In fact, I’d even go further to throw out an 'unhealthy' in a Romeo-Juliet kind of way!  But hell being slightly less nitpicky and having been swayed by the romance of it all. I say him + her = Aaw.

3.5/5


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. oh, your review is so cryptic (re: the iffy stuff)! i have this one and i should probably go and read it for myself :)

    ReplyDelete