Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Masque of Red Death by Bethany Griffith

Masque of the Red Death
Good Reads Summary

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.


My Thoughts
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

The Masque of Red Death is a little hard to describe. It’s little bit of steampunk, a little bit of dystopia, and a little bit of romance. Though there’s nothing “little” about the story. And while I’m feeling the comings of a fan girl gush, but I’m controlling myself.

It’s set in some an alternate world, after a disease has killed so many and left more feeling hopeless. Among them, a girl throws her life away. With her, are a couple of boys who had me questioning their integrity. Were they good or where they bad? And it wasn’t once or twice either that I wondered: they consistently kept me guessing.

The steampunk bit is not overwhelming at all. In fact, past the mention of a carriage and what not… it’s so matter of fact in presentation, that it felt very natural and not once shoved in my face (this was much appreciated.) So maybe it’s better qualified as steampunk-lite. It’s the dystopian aspect that’s more obvious with everyone feeling so hopeless and dark. The world described is depressing and bleak so much so that I bought why they were all acting the way they were.

The romantic aspect too was a bit different. I was not at all bothered by the makings of a triangle. The girl’s options were just so different from the standard. Where one was powerful and driven, he could also be manipulative and selfish. The other too seemed kind and stalwart and present, but later things proved otherwise. I was greatly impressed with them, if only because they kept me guessing.

What’s better is how said romantic aspect(s) DID NOT take over the story. Hers is a dark world with one (or two) megalomaniacs looming in the background. The threat that both posed was interesting…. but the slow reveal to who was who and what one had in mind was mad thrilling. And after all those revelations, well… I'm feeling all:



So while not one of them are perfectly good, they’re all quite different from the norm.
And were this a movie, I'd hit playback over and over and over again.

April 24th needs to get here quickly; I need a hard copy of this right now.

4.5/5

Thanks Edelweiss!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment