Saturday, April 28, 2012

Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

Being Friends with Boys
Good Reads Summary

Being Friends with Boys
by Terra Elan McVoy

Charlotte and Oliver have been friends forever. She knows that he, Abe, and Trip consider her to be one of the guys, and she likes it that way. She likes being the friend who keeps them all together. Likes offering a girl's perspective on their love lives. Likes being the behind-the-scenes wordsmith who writes all the lyrics for the boys' band. Char has a house full of stepsisters and a past full of backstabbing (female) ex-best friends, so for her, being friends with boys is refreshingly drama-free...until it isn't any more.

When a new boy enters the scene and makes Char feel like, well, a total girl...and two of her other friends have a falling out that may or may not be related to one of them deciding he possibly wants to be more than friends with Char...being friends with all these boys suddenly becomes a lot more complicated.


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


3.5/5

Oh Thank God… Lately, I’ve been feeling less than enthusiastic over the stuff I’ve been picking. I think I’ve had me fill of girls saving the world/ post apoc/ whatever. Apparently, it takes a bunch of teenagers who don’t know what they want and how to say what they want once they’ve figured things out to get me pumped. Being Friends with Boys is not without its problems, take the girl who’s not aware of what she’s got going for her, take her very complicated non-love life… but I enjoyed it.

It starts at their end. But her recollections of what had gone on prior -all short and brief- high lit how good they were together. I liked her flashing back to them; her memories of them and their “golden summer” all pointed to a group who liked being together and had fun together; had a genuine connection.

Supporting character made for a more interesting read too. There’s Fabian, with his words of wisdom; it’s his and her connection that balanced out what would have been too much boy drama. Of course there’s Benji who is likely my favorite character. He was just always there and so easy to read of- which is not necessarily what I’d have to say for the two originals: Trip and Oliver. I like how it’s a mostly a non romance because there’s very little to that effect most of the book. It’s mostly this girl being friends with boys  Then eventually, the same girl figuring things out. There was that eventual romantic revelation to her in that final moment with her holding things then but reducing everything that had happened in a couple of breathes… but it was all right. Most of the time thoe two were absent, but it’s their absence that propelled most of the drama she experienced, as well as most of the discoveries made.

While I’d normally be scrunching my forehead over how oblivious she could get, her recognizing what was is half the fun/frustration of this story. She could be both (seriously,) but at least there was more to her.  She’s frustratingly unaware of why things had turned out the way they had, but willing to roll with things. Benji got her I suppose in  calling her his “Coastal.” She did go with the flow, but not always with her striking out on her own and trying some new things.

3.5/5
Thank You Simon and Schuster G&G!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment