Monday, April 23, 2012

I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent#1) by Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers
Good Reads Summary
I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper (Jazz) Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could--from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret--could he be more like his father than anyone knows?


My Thoughts
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I found nothing wanting in this one. It distinguishes itself from the rest given the obvious absence of most things encountered in past YA books. This one is just a boy who’s is so afraid of turning out like father (I mean what teenage kid doesn’t fear the same?) Only for him, the fear is absolutely justified given that dear old dad is also a serial killer.

This one felt fresh; Jazz’ voice, so new, different that I feel like I’d give either of my kidneys to get my hands on the next one. Even the typical YA conflict of figuring out his father’s truth isn’t so typically handled in this one. We all know his father’s truth, but it was Jazz running away from the same that had things moving along.

I liked them though I didn’t expect to do so. Jazz is the biggest surprise in this aspect because I liked him even with some similarities with douche-y YA love interests. He is cocky, manipulative and so sure of himself but also so deathly afraid of his possibilities given his history. Add the act that he is smart in an unlikely kind of way, but he always had this humor that had me hooked nonetheless.

All of them in fact had a certain humor to them. This was never more obvious than when Jazz was on  a page Howie. On Howie, at first, I felt that this character read like the typical BFF type. The one in over his head but too loyal to do anything about it? The one most likely to get the short end; the same thing that would propel the main guy to do something previously not considered. And the more I think about it, the more I have to concede that most these things held true for Howie. BUT… and this is important: I didn’t mind. Their interaction, as well as Jazz’s interaction with Connie, allowed Jazz to seem less scary... because this protag’s thoughts, could frankly get a bit uncomfortable in the bloody/scary/gory kind of way.

And holy hell! I hope I wasn’t alone with hair standing on end every time he had a flash of something from his past. The last moments were especially scary in what could have happened. I am still imagining things how things could have gone down.

I want the next one now.
Seriously.




View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment