Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The King of Attloia (The Queen Thief#3) by Megan Whalen Turner

The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
Good Reads Summary
The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

By scheming and theft, the Thief of Eddis has become King of Attolia. Eugenides (yoo-JEN-ə-deez) wanted the queen, not the crown, but he finds himself trapped in a web of his own making.

Then he drags a naive young guard into the center of the political maelstrom. Poor Costis knows he is the victim of the king's caprice, but his contempt for Eugenides slowly turns to grudging respect. Though struggling against his fate, the newly crowned king is much more than he appears. Soon the corrupt Attolian court will learn that its subtle and dangerous intrigue is no match for Eugenides.


My Thoughts
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved the twists in this one even if the way he presented himself could get quite frustrating. I was waiting and waiting for him to show his truth. So waiting for his truth to become clearer to all of them, I was simply gleeful when things finally did take place according to how I expected.

But even before that, I think I fell a little in love with the people in this one. This time around it’s Attolia and her people who have to get used to him. I tell you: I enjoyed them all. Attolia and all those people loyal to her could be so frustratingly loyal! and I loved that too. Because what they did and what they did say proved just how little they knew of Gen but also showed just where their hearts/loyalties lay. So on the one had they all did frustrate me, but on the other they also endeared themselves to me. Costis especially!

Of course, Gen’s humor only concealed just how serious he was… but it’s a humor that I appreciated. Serious moments had me griining because I could just picture how confounded he made everyone around him feel. But never his Queen. And then them together? Oh me dear… ! I fell a little more in love with their story. The hints in how they were together, of few people saw and probably the confusion they all felt. Simply, I loved the complexity of his connections with all of those around him. His manipulation, his tactics… all impressed me. Their reactions, their receptions had me imagining what I’d have felt in their place.

The King off Attolia is filled with moments that were so unexpected. Add that a pacing was just right, and people who had me feeling so many things. Well, it shouldn’t be much of a surprise if I say that this is definitely one of my favorites this year.

*Btw, audio version is so darned engaging.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment