Sunday, April 22, 2012

Velveteen (Velveteen #1) by Daniel Marks

Velveteen (Velveteen, #1)
Good Reads Summary 
Velveteen by Daniel Marks

Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that's not the problem.

The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it's not a fiery inferno, it's certainly no heaven. It's gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn't leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what's really on her mind.

Bonesaw.

Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she's figured out just how to do it. She'll haunt him for the rest of his days.
It'll be brutal . . . and awesome.

But crossing the divide between the living and the dead has devastating consequences. Velveteen's obsessive haunting cracks the foundations of purgatory and jeopardizes her very soul. A risk she's willing to take—except fate has just given her reason to stick around: an unreasonably hot and completely off-limits coworker.

Velveteen can't help herself when it comes to breaking rules . . . or getting revenge. And she just might be angry enough to take everyone down with her.  


My Thoughts
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I suspect that the tone she’s speaks will be a hit or miss with readers. Irreverent, she could be. Cheeky but perfectly aware of how unlikeable she was. Despite such an interesting character, the flow of the story felt choppy. With endings that served to emphasize how silly, horrific, stupid something was… the novelty of all those one liner endings eventually wore off because they cut off the flow of the story. Add the fact that it wasn’t that easy to get into at first. There’s little explanation as to what was what and who was who, so I had to learn everything along side the new guy. I couldn’t tell heads from tails, why something was happening or why something being done, so I could just imagine how confused he was… because I certainly was. Basically, it wasn’t that easy to get into in the beginning.

Recalling my excitement over the possibility of a ghost-girl haunting her killer, I admit it was this aspect of the story delivered. Her memories of him… and anything to do with him had the effect they were suppose to have: Horror, I say. Yet, the story isn’t as simple as a dead girl haunting her killer (if you could even say that that is simple) because it’s a just small part in a bigger world of her Purgatory. The things is it could get confusing; not only did her cheeky ways, one liner endings cut off the flow, I felt as if I were plopped right in middle of something happening and then expected to know what was up. I learned at the same the newbie did… but things did clear up a while later.

Speak of Purgatory, I’d never quite pictured it that way. She and the people around her made for an interesting read. Having just read WANDERDUST, with its team of paranormals, I was quite surprised to encounter something similar here. Though, I have to say that the “teams” in this one were much more interesting. On one hand there’s Collectors, then on the other Scavengers. That one tram was comprised of poltergeist siblings, members that could posses either living or non living was certainly different, Luisa especially. I just wish a little more of her Purgatory were laid out more smoothly.

Thanks NETGALLEY!
3/5


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this cover around but I don't think I've read any reviews yet. It sounds different and interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete