Friday, May 18, 2012

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1)
Good Reads Summary
Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren’t enough, now he’s depending on Hartley to clear his name.

But as much as Hartley wouldn’t mind seeing him squirm, she knows he’s innocent, and she’s the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school’s resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer’s next victim.


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

How awesomely funny was this?
 

If at first she read sometimes shallow and with not that much to her, well... I was wrong. After a couple things happen to her, around her, her reactions were enough to get me to consider her more, and in the end, I say, I actually I do like this particular girl detective. Because this girl detective would likely give Sophie of Hex Hall fame a run for her money in snark. Well, that and the fact that her story is very straightforward in the telling and never dry (I don’t think it would have been possible given the kind of girl she is.)

Even the little moments of playing at current didn’t hamper my liking this one. The girl is smart, funny and sassy…a t times a bit clueless but determined. And, still I liked it. I liked her as well as most people in it. Her BFF is precisely that: a BFF that’s there.  Sam also added an different sort of funny, minus the snark, she could give as good as the other. Together though, well, let’s just say that I enjoyed the dynamic they had going for them. The back and forth of one staying listening, then the other piping up, then maybe another siding with the other her, or perhaps disagreeing in an honest but always funny way. My point? I enjoyed these best friends.

There’s no absence of boy drama, but that she’s in it to clear despite what a douche a certain someone could be? Well, that amped things up a bit more. And also, the maybe, might be, could be that was taking place with Chase, it was that aspect of it that had me all a tingle. Absence of teen boy drama, my butt. I liked her trying to get over the other and failing miserably. Then her making mistakes and basically her (sometimes) making a fool of herself, but still pushing forward nonetheless. I even liked her threatening bloody murder... because all of that? Well, all that rang truthful and accurate… and hilarious. Read this. Fluffy, funny… and just the right kind of read for me right now.

3.5/5

And how she describes getting vats of veggy oil from restos for a converted car? Been there, done that… and the girl is right… saving mother earth is dirty (smelly) business.



View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment