Monday, May 28, 2012

Easy by Tammara Webber

Easy
Good Reads Summary
Easy by Tammara Webber

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she’s single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, stalked by her ex’s frat brother, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Her econ professor gives her an email address for Landon, the class tutor, who shows her that she’s still the same intelligent girl she’s always been. As Jacqueline becomes interested in more from her tutor than a better grade, his teasing responses make the feeling seem mutual. There’s just one problem—their only interactions are through email.

Meanwhile, a guy in her econ class proves his worth the first night she meets him. Nothing like her popular ex or her brainy tutor, Lucas sits on the back row, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. At a downtown club, he disappears after several dances that leave her on fire. When he asks if he can sketch her, alone in her room, she agrees—hoping for more.

Then Jacqueline discovers a withheld connection between her supportive tutor and her seductive classmate, her ex comes back into the picture, and her stalker escalates his attention by spreading rumors that they’ve hooked up. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.

Author Recommendation: Mature Young Adults (language, drinking, sexual situations)



My Thoughts
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My goodness! This is the second man with troubling past that I’ve read in a row. I liked it but I didn’t get some of it. Yet, dear me, things could get hot hot hot in this one! *wipes brow* Did I enjoy this one (aside from the hot stuff, that is?) Maybe. I’m just not that sure that this kind of book is my thing right now. What kind of thing precisely? A hot romance that’s coupled with healing for something dark secret past thing that's kept hidden… to think that it’s starts on account of a very dumb decision. And it’s that last bit that I liked most about this/her:

That she called it like it was… that she admits to being very aware of how misguided her decision was. Of course, me liking this is tempered by it being an admission after the fact… but you can’t have it all, can you? I also liked how different she and her roommate were, because despite that same thing, there truly seemed an authentic connection there. Plus all the ‘NUTSACKS!!’ from the other had me chuckling. These aspects aside, there’s the major drama that I didn’t quite get. Her knowing something that a significant someone else didn’t want her to know. Think Mattie in FOL. In that one,  you could tell what’s what and who’s who miles away. Here, you could sorta/kinda do that too, except never with a hundred percent certainty… which is why I kept on reading (well, of course, there’s the hot stuff to consider too.)

I still don’t get it, but maybe I did enjoy bits of it. Who wouldn’t with some “Can I draw you?” cheesiness on one side and then flirty tones to email correspondence on another? So, yeah maybe I did enjoy it and maybe I would have continued enjoying it. But then, there she was discovering all those things and then feeling guilty about doing so and then that confrontation! So there I was thinking, wondering, “Where’d all this drama was coming from?!” Simply, I thought it was overdone. Look it, I appreciate drama in small doses> It’s  just that one thing then another then another thing felt too much for me.

But that’s me nitpicking. There’s plenty a positive in this one. Foremost is what went down in that sorority. Lovely surprise, this banding together despite a couple of dumb remarks thrown here and there. A pleasant thing to have that particular turn of events. No, wait… foremost would be friends who don’t ditch you. Yes, I liked her BFF the most in this one. Oh, and like I said, there’s the hot stuff too.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment