Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
Good Reads Summary
The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

A thought-provoking and exciting start to a riveting new dystopian trilogy.As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.     The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.

My Thoughts
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

The Forsaken. It reads like a mish mash of Lord of the Flies and Maze Runner and some other stuff that I have read and liked more. A good deal of it bored me. Some of it read too convenient and not sinister enough.. or maybe too sinister as if to be trying to hard.

If I were to piece it apart, the individual bits could have been interesting ala Lord of Flies but instead of a plane crash landing and kids attempting to survive this one has a prison with factions whose loyalties and goals were not that clearly defined. Take the blue sector, split them again and you find people all gung ho about fighting and defending , then another half wanting to keep to their current version of freedom, and quite obviously scared of rocking the boat. I didn’t quite gravitate to either of side. I mean, middle ground people! Or take the other other side: Monk? I like his drones that have devolved in this more savage, somehow mindless group. I confess, I did enjoy the descriptions of this bunch. All sharp toothed and cruel… but again, so what? The eventual discoveries tickled my fancy but not enough to get me excited. All that talk of gray zones and barriers and feelers had me imagining scifi something… but it all felt too laid out to me as if they were simply following crumbs thrown down for them to follow.

There’s a needless romance that I just couldn’t follow too. If asked to choose between Liam and David, David was sounding more interesting to me. If were talking history, there was one between David and Alena… Liam just sounded to beef cake-y, hot hunter type. Then of course Gadja with her blind let me at ‘em wildness, she could have been my favorite character except this independent woman was cut down by her tendency to be blinded by a jealousy that was a tad too predictable. Argh! The Forsaken could have been good too… but at least it got better eventually: the last twenty percent to be exact. There things got even more complicated, with people joining up when you wouldn’t think they would, and with people showing who they were and what they could do.

Thank you Simon and Schuster G&G
2.5/5




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment