Friday, June 1, 2012

Blood Bound (Unbound#1) by Rachel Vincent

Blood Bound (Unbound #1)
Good Reads Summary
Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent
Bound by blood, condemned by fate

As a bloodtracker, Liv is extremely powerful. And in a world where power is a commodity that can get you killed, Liv's learnt to survive by her own rules.

Rule number one? Trust no one.

But when a friend's daughter goes missing, Liv is bound by a potent magical oath. She can't rest until the child is safe.
And that means trusting her dangerous ex, Cam.

A sinister prophecy tells that she and Cam will be the death of each other, yet Liv's tired of being a slave to destiny. She's ready to play the forces controlling her world at their own game.

No matter what the cost. 


My Thoughts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I feel that I owe BLOOD BOUND more than my ‘Yays! I see a Kick Ass Heroine’ squee, particularly since that it is what’s responsible for taking me out of my reading slump.  Do the words blood magic, do anything for you? How about organized crime, complete a couple of God Father sounding baddies? (Yes, I have indeed invoked The God Father.) Wait! How about a bad guy who read kind of/sort of sympathetic instead of one note crazy/maniacal and power hungry? Nope? How about the host of specials from binders, blinders to jammers to Shadow Travelers. Ayayay! There were so many things, details in this one that tickled my fancy.

DISLIKE....

It’s not prefect though. In fact,my main problem with this is what I’ve encountered in Vincent’s YA soul screamers series: the tendency for dialogue to feel a bit forced and not quite authentic, but I could set aside that worry because it happened but once (maybe twice) in this one. Everything else was delicious. I’m talking delicious, people.


LOVE TO THE Nth...

World. I enjoyed how the world was presented, not once was I overwhelmed by details. Everything was doled out little by little and all very in the moment too. I appreciated the flow of everything, because it made me want to know more. She’s a tracker, he’s a tracker. And their world is one with Specials who are if not acknowledged then a very public secret. How they get tangled up in that world is half the story. How they get tangled up in each other, the remaining half.

Complications. Here’s the biggest surprise of all: I didn’t mind the star crossed love they had going for them. Perhaps it’s that both of them told the story, alternating of course; and that she’s really tough while he’s really determined. The longer i think about this book, the more I like it. That despite some clumsy turn of phrase, overall it is an enjoyable read. Heap on more complications, with the little side story of her and her former best friends. This was my favorite aspect of the story.I LOVE the fact that hers were not easy relationships.

Pacing. What he didn't know and what she kept from him, was done for so long and so effectively that I was right there with his in my need to know what the big to do was. It’s kept under wraps or so close to chest so effectively that that with each almost-hint, there I was, wanting to know.  And even before the big reveal, I liked how things were presented. I was plopped right in the middle of it with very little background as to how her world was built and what kind of people they were, but as the details were doled, I was only drawn in more curious to see what else was there.

The blood magic had me (fondly)recalling  Andrew’s Kate. All their “I want you but I shouldn’t” had me feeling nostalgic over Bones/Cat. Not to say that it isn’t a good story on its own, but I love that it has me recalling just why I like kick ass characters specifically, kick ass characters in Urban Fantasy. Why the hell did I stop reading books of this type?

3.5/5




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment