Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law#2) by J.A. Saare

The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
Good Reads Summary
The Renfield Syndrome by J.A. Saare

Vampires, and werewolves, and demons, oh my.

Rhiannon thought facing off against a deranged child vampire was the most dangerous task she would ever have to undertake, but she’s about to discover making a deal with a demon is far, far worse. Sent forward into another reality, one in which vampires are now dominating nearly extinct humans, she realizes the sooner she returns to her vampire lover, Disco, the better.

Unfortunately, time changes a lot of things; including those most trusted around her. When she’s faced with a loss and betrayal unlike any she has ever known, her focus shifts from severing the debt between the demon that wants to kill her, to exacting a revenge that will bring forth consequences she never could have fathomed. By reaching out to the darkness lingering within her, she’ll find the strength to push forward despite the circumstances that would see her dead and buried.

After all, when it’s all said and done, all that she has left to lose is her soul.


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

This one almost broke the “I love you, UF/PNR’ streak I've been having of late. A string of complaints were running through my head up until 63%. Prior that, just about everything wasn’t working for me:

Seriously, that cliffy had me thinking something else, something bigger, something that would up the ante was coming. Instead I got more of the same old same old. Wait, maybe it’d be fairer to say it went places I didn’t think it would go:

Did we really, seriously have to go there? I mean, I know we started with the idea of bad ass vampires and an even more bad ass necromancer, but Lycae? Really? Was completing that tried/tested opposition really necessary? It felt so down the beaten path for me; haven’t we all been there and done that? And beside that tried/tested formula, did we really have to suffer some more love unrequited?

Carter. What to say, what to say?  How about an ‘Eew.’ Yes, that about sums it up for me. I. Didn’t. Like. It.  Specifically? How his miniscule part in it all was handled… on his end specifically. It all felt glossed over. No remorse from him; as for her,  a bit incomplete despite the shooting and the blood, because for all that, all I got was her fallback response of ‘fuck me sideways.’

It could have gone the ways of never-ending change in bed partners, (ala Anita in those vampire books.) I exaggerate. But, it could have been like that. (view spoiler)[it's just that those jumps from one partner to another felt so out of character, considering the change in circumstance took place conceptually in but a few days. (hide spoiler)]
Despite all that, I’m so glad to have pushed through. If at first I was predicting ‘great groundwork, but not so great execution,’ things turned around in totally unexpected ways somewhere around the time I hit 41%, then 63% then 84%.

It’s that last 20% that I’m in love with. By that point more than one person had reacted both predictably and then not quite predictably. It’s for those same reactions that the tension shot up to almost unbearable limits. I like how those little things I was familiar with were taken and allowed to progress in totally unexpected ways. Sure, Rhianon’s was more of a bleeding heart in this one, but she could also be so much more blood thirsty than I ever thought she could be. So many facets of her came out in this one. Heck, even the typically overly lovey-dovey love interest revealed more of himself… but who could blame him, eh? Wait, that right, Rhiannon could.  I need book three. NOW

3.5/5


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment