Tuesday, September 11, 2012

False Memory by Dan Krokos

False Memory (False Memory, #1)
Good Reads Summary
False Memory by Dan Krokos

Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn’t at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability.

Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn’t easy—especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can’t remember loving.

Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn’t seem to matter... when there may not be a future.

Dan Krokos’ debut is a tour-de-force of non-stop action that will leave readers begging for the next book in this bold and powerful new series.


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

In recent months there’s been an upswing in kick ass, superhero like characters in YA, not so many werewolves and vampires of late instead we’ve got the Merrick brothers of Elementals, those aliens in the Lux series, and even those super special ‘uns in Hunting then Losing Lila (there are more, I’m sure). More action and kicking butt, all around... and where does FALSE MEMORY factor in? It might just have surpassed one or two of those I’ve mentioned.

Simply because it’s so creatively kick ass.

Now… hmm, let’s see if I can keep this short (I’m hoping to keep the details out.) One really ought to go into this knowing anything. Let loose, relax, and don’t look too hard at some things, and perhaps like me, you’ll come away feeling like you’ve just seen an action flick. So, it’s a movie in my head, complete with explosions, hand to hand combat and baddies ominously named Mrs. or Mr. Something or other.

The one thing I could fault it with is how none of the characters ever shake off that ‘just because’ or ‘just going with it’ feel. But where things went and where they took me? Dare I say it? Awesome sauce, words that have lost their true value from over use, but really this was awesome-freaking- sauce.

And even with that one aspect of it bugging me (that none of them actually bothered to stop and think things through given their easy acceptance of things for no real reason,) I still had fun with this one because really (and this definitely pot-kettle on my part,) “What can I do but go with it, you know?” To start, Miranda’s woken up knowing next to nothing about who she is, and where she is. it’s her initial reaction that I found funny. What’s one to do when they’ve no memory of themselves? (view spoiler)[Why shop, of course! Except… not really. (hide spoiler)] Then suddenly things start happening and eventually there’s this tentative thing (re)built between her and her team. A team… a team that’s just, well… I enjoyed them, even if it’s not obvious yet:

So, her team.

There’s Fearless leader in Peter. There’s the funny and less serious one in Noah. Then there’s Olive who seems to hold them together. Theirs is a complicated little unit as she’s soon to discover: how there’s more specific loyalties within the group and that there are complicated histories that they’re all treading on. And never fear, lovers of love! For, yes, there’s a love connection in this one, too (more than a couple in fact,) but who cares… when there’s so many other things going on? Take those memory pills and Rogues and Alphas and Betas (and not in the wolfie pack sense, either.)

Damn me, but this was fun…
and exciting!






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment