Monday, October 15, 2012

God Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo

God Shaped Hole
Good Reads Summary
God Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo

When I was twelve, a fortune teller told me that my one true love would die young and leave me all alone.  
Everyone said she was a fraud, that she was just making it up.
 

I'd really like to know why the hell a person would make up a thing like that.
Written with the snap, glitter and wit of The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, God-Shaped Hole is a memorable, poignant love story that will leave you weeping with laughter. It is told in the wry, vulnerable voice of Beatrice "Trixie" Jordan who replies to a personal ad, "If your intentions are pure I am seeking a friend for the end of the world." 

 
In doing so, she meets Jacob Grace, a charming, effervescent thirty-something writer, a free spirit who is a passionate seeker of life. He possesses his own turn of phrase and ways of thinking and feeling that dissonantly harmonize with Trixie's off-center vision as they roller coaster through the joys and furies of their wrenching romance. Along the way they try to come to terms with the hurt brought about by their distant fathers who, in different ways, forsook them. 


This story will prove so touching you will rush to share it with a friend or loved one or even a stranger. 


My Thoughts
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

God Shaped Hole gives me what I wanted out of HTKRS. Recall, that that one had me wishing it ended at a certain point, going on as it did took away from the depth of what I was feeling, the ending felt contrived and much too Hollywood. I still hold that the forced happily ever after in no way compares to the open ending that could have been. This does not suffer that.

Bottom line, it’s a love story, with a fortuitous meeting of like souled people (both so well matched in fact that one of them makes a hokey comparison to Siamese twin souls. Ha! I laughed and cringed at how corny it sounded (still sounds) even if they are precisely that, except I wish they could have described it more smoothly.) I’m rambling, but my point is the two are both prone to over stating their feelings and going off on too deep looks into each others eyes/ bodies/souls. It’s something I would have had an easy time poking fun at, save the fact that one of them reminded me a little too much of how I was, could be, and can still be:

Trixie. Well on her way to becoming bitter disillusioned twenty something trapped in her version of hell (LA.) She is distant from her family add that the one person close to her is just as maladapted as she is. And that’s me. She’s self described as godless, faithless and expectant of the disappointment that people are bound to bring with them. It’s the last that allows her to be all ‘Do as you please and I’ll do the same’. And you see, that made sense to me if a bit depressed.

Then there’s Jacob, who’s so impossibly good. He says these words and thus adds a lightness to things. Though that’s not apt either, because perfectly matched as they are he too is burdened and prone to feeling deeply, too deeply. Here I’m half tempted to make a Paul comparison but not really, because where Paul is all deep and sad, sad soul, Jacob is something else; it's what allows him to open Trixie to other possibilities.

The most honest thing here is how they put people in categories so that when one or two or all of those people pegged one way act contrary to what’s expected, they’re so unsure about what to now. But My point? (And I swear I have one): 

They’re not perfect, no one around them is perfect,
But the two of them? They’re perfect for each other.

To be honest, I enjoyed this more than How To Kill a Rock Star. Where that one dragged my emotions every which way, this one didn't. It's more quiet some how, the hurdles put before them them not loud in that over the top too dramatic way, (something I have come to loathe); more quiet, thus more real. I am sure we all love a good cute meet, but this one deals with the after that. And your soul mate, though soul mate he may be.. can still act like an a**hole sometimes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment